PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

geopiper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
How do you rationalize spending a lot on a pipe? Let's define "a lot" as being equivalent to a mortgage payment, whatever that is for you. Other factors are: you have the money and are not as risk of losing the house or taking food out of your families mouths, you have enough pipes already but this one is calling to you.

Just wondering how you rationalize spending a "large" sum of discretionary money on something you want, but don't need.

Browny

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 10, 2022
Great Southern Land
Can't help you there sorry.
Going by individual pipe price, my wife was the one who spent the most on one of my pipes, mine have all been $100 or less.
Highly likely I'll not buy another either, the pipes I have now will out-live me.

Like @Lumbridge I'm thinking about tobacco.
My supply won't out-live me and it's getting dire down here.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
How do you rationalize spending a lot on a pipe? Let's define "a lot" as being equivalent to a mortgage payment, whatever that is for you. Other factors are: you have the money and are not as risk of losing the house or taking food out of your families mouths, you have enough pipes already but this one is calling to you.

Just wondering how you rationalize spending a "large" sum of discretionary money on something you want, but don't need.
I wouldn't spend the equivalent of a house payment on any pipe. No pipe has ever been that important to me. Rather, I've patiently watched for opportunities to purchase a "white whale" pipe at a much reduced price, and left a lot of "wants" behind because I won't spend that kind of money on a pipe. Overall it's worked out and I have a nice selection of great smokers without bankrupting the exchequer. No regrets. I can appreciate and take pleasure in the purchases of others when they're satisfying a passion that I don't share.

I have spent thousands on camera gear and I've gotten the benefit of that expense with creative tools that help me get the shots that I want. Someone else is completely satisfied with their iPhone photos and wouldn't spend a lot of a camera. Different strokes.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
You know you want to.
Just DO IT 😁

What answer were you expecting posing that question here 🤣.

Seriously are we talking of discretionary money or money that needs to be spent on something ?

How often do you drop a few hundred on a dinner, a night out or a weekend away ?

That pipe will likely outlast you if looked after

It’s all relative

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
There are two factors to consider, depending on if and where you are employed , do you have possibility to smoke during working hours, or do you only have time for smoke when back home free, which generally means there no necessarily need for that many pipes,and secundo,in many cases if you decide to let them pipes go then your revenue' you will get for them is often only a fraction of what You've paid for them when brand new

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
As a wet smoker I smoke mainly Petersons, I have many and never sold one but I am amazed at the prices of Peterson Estates, most are selling for more than the original cost. The prices of a new System Standard are very affordable, I do have some higher end Petersons, most were presents from family and loved ones, I have one Savinelli with a wet system (near copy of a Peterson) that is a excellent smoke and now have a French copy Estate on the way, me just being curious, I suppose that Petersons Patent run out a few years so anybody can copy them.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
If you have to rationalize it, don't buy it. You will be plagued by buyers remorse. You gonna find out real quick that this super high end pipe does not poses any magical quality's to justify a price tag 10 times higher than a regular pipe and your gonna wonder why you paid that much for it. If you can buy it with having to rationalize it, you'll be happy with it.