PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I usually watch golf tournaments to slow the news frenzy crazy ? that spews what they call news. A couple days ago wife and I watched the Father and son, daughter tournament, It was notable at the start the announcers were enamored with Tiger Woods and his son Charlie, fast forward Mr Daly and Son won, but the stories in the news were about Charlie and his Daddy, Shame on the media, although I have been shaming them for quite a while. Young Daly you played a fine game and Dad even though you are controversial it seems you raised a fine young man. I tip my hat to you young Daly.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
I usually watch golf tournaments to slow the news frenzy crazy ? that spews what they call news. A couple days ago wife and I watched the Father and son, daughter tournament, It was notable at the start the announcers were enamored with Tiger Woods and his son Charlie, fast forward Mr Daly and Son won, but the stories in the news were about Charlie and his Daddy, Shame on the media, although I have been shaming them for quite a while. Young Daly you played a fine game and Dad even though you are controversial it seems you raised a fine young man. I tip my hat to you young Daly.
As a golfer who started in the '90's at 45, Daly was a news maker, but nothing compared to the best golfer in the last 500 years. Like him or not, Tiger is the King. That he sustained a horrible accident and is playing is a miracle.

Poor Tiger's problems are all self inflicted. That he has redeemed himself and has a relationship with this son is a good thing.

My son and I have played together often. He hits his drive well over 300 yards is some direction. Not to deminisnh his abilty, he was a collegate baseball player.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Daly and Son getting plenty of attention on my social media feeds. Tiger and Charlie more news because of Tiger's comeback. Daly and Son played very well. In all fairness, you had a pro who plays the Senior Tour and his son who is an 18 year old scholarship golfer barely beat a guy who nearly lost his leg (and life) in an accident less than a year ago and his 12 year old son.

Jun 23, 2019

I'm with you on this. Even though I was very excited to see Tiger's comeback from his car wreck and even more so to see the developing Charlie (who is incredibly talented and exciting to watch), the broadcast is completely off putting: this is what happens when you value celebrities over the craft.

I think a while ago (I think after MJ) sports advertiser realized it's much easier to sell the athlete's personality from a celebrity perspective than the athlete's accomplishments from an athletic stand point.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Media in obedience to its public is slave to celebrity. The golf just couldn't compete with the car wreck and Tiger recovery narrative. I bet Tiger would have savored being just a side story, unless of course he and his son had won. Most of the celebrities appearing in ads and being given standing ovations ... I have no idea who they are or what they do. I guess that's just being a geezer.

Reactions: JOHN72 and jpmcwjr

JKoD

Part of the Furniture Now
May 9, 2021
IN
I get the rant… but, you cannot fault any of the golfing combos with regard to what the media does. There is a bit of a PR stunt coming through with this as it relates to restoring, or minimally improving, a damaged reputation.

Tiger is an example of self-destruction in its purest form. But, anyone under a magnifying glass trying to live to everyone’s expectations, morals or otherwise will never work…for anyone. Imagine if all of us had that microscope.

I’m not sure causing anything he’s done nor defending his character. You cannot dispute his status as the best golfer in the history of the sport.

Jon Daly - People don’t like him, but he’s about as straight of a shooter as you’ll find - not in the golf shot sense. He’s a drinker - and he’s public with it. His beer golf shot is rather amazing…check it out sometime.

In the meantime - let’s relearn how to dislike the media and how they tell and portray the stories, they’re the actual problem in our world, IMO.

Anyway - two cents lunch break.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Media in obedience to its public is slave to celebrity. The golf just couldn't compete with the car wreck and Tiger recovery narrative. I bet Tiger would have savored being just a side story, unless of course he and his son had won. Most of the celebrities appearing in ads and being given standing ovations ... I have no idea who they are or what they do. I guess that's just being a geezer.
The same story as Ben Hogan. Different times...same story.

The media today is the same as the Hurst papers 100 years ago...slime.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

Peter Peachfuzz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2019
Central Ohio
As a golfer who started in the '90's at 45, Daly was a news maker, but nothing compared to the best golfer in the last 500 years. Like him or not, Tiger is the King. That he sustained a horrible accident and is playing is a miracle.

Poor Tiger's problems are all self inflicted. That he has redeemed himself and has a relationship with this son is a good thing.

My son and I have played together often. He hits his drive well over 300 yards is some direction. Not to deminisnh his abilty, he was a collegate baseball player.
He would never made it without the cart.. and having zero responsibilities other than golf I'm sure helped his recovery such as it is.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy