Random Ramblings on the Small Bent Dutch (313/Deluxe 8s/338)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jon C.P.G.

Might Stick Around
Sep 29, 2023
Canada
So it's Friday morning, which with my work schedule is technically my Saturday morning and I am sitting here with my Peterson 2023 Halloween Jekyll and Hyde shape #313 system, smoking my every day blend of 1792 Flake which this and a few other pipes are dedicated to. While perusing the Smoking Pipes US and Europe websites as well as eBay and the tobaccopipes.com site too, looking at Petersons as a Pete Geek tends to do, those of you who love Peterson pipes as much as I do know the routine.

Just checking things out, looking at certain pipes, checking what is available in a specific shape and I felt the need to do a little writing, part as an appreciation and part as a bit of frustration as a pipe smoker and online consumer but mostly as a lover of Peterson pipes and their history and shapes and especially the muscular look of their stummels in the system lines.

Now this isn't going to be some long drawn out big winded post and I won't have a lot of history to read through either, it's more a catharsis of sorts for myself as something just annoyed me this morning and I am curious if any of the other Pete Geeks on the board have ever had the same thoughts. See, my favorite shape in all of pipedom is the Shape 4 or Bent Dutch Billiard, an overview of this shape for anyone who comes across this post who doesn't know what this silly Ogrish Canadian is talking about can check it out here on Mark Irwins Peterson Pipe Notes blog.

I am here to talk about the Shape 4's little brother, the Shape 313 or Deluxe 8s or in non system lines the 338 and what I see as a major inconsistency in its overall stummel Shape in online offerings. See, I love this shape as much as I love the large Bent Dutch but damnitall if this is one of the most inconsistently shaped stummels that comes out of Dublin these days. As my understanding goes the shape is meant to be a smaller version of the 309 / 4s / large bent dutch but more often than not the online offerings of it in different lines do not have what I see as the major makeups of what a bent dutch is. The straight almost perfectly cylindrical lines from the rim downwards into the front of the pipe with a strongly pronounced heel and foot, with on the opposite of that the almost straight down hard sweep from the rear rim/head to the muscular upwards curving shank. Sometimes the rear of the head/rim to the top curve of the shank barely have any space. I try my best to explain this but I guess some edited images will have to do as my exact terminology is not very strong. I am sure there is a name for this spot that I just don't know.

Here are three pictures taken from the internet will show what I am talking about all using Deluxe 8s shapes as an example.

Picture one has the nice cylindrical bowl good straight lines and a nice angled upward curve and space between the shank but the heel and foot don't have that strong pronounced muscular look to them, I jokingly call it the Jay Leno chin.

Small Bent Dutch Post 1e.jpg

Now Image 2 has that "Jay Leno Chin" heel and foot I look for in this shape, very masculine and very much like my 309s and deluxe 4s pipes and at one time I owned at least fifteen 309s, four 4ab POTY and two Deluxe 4s (both of which I still have) but what this pipe is missing is that sweeping curve and sharper angle from the barrel to the shank. It is too much of a U shape and not enough of a sharp half V, if that makes sense

small bent dutch post 3edit.jpg

Then there is image 3... what is this? Looks like a normal curvy bent billiard without any of the qualities of what a bent dutch is, at least to me.

small bent dutch post 2e.jpg

So I am curious, does anyone else notice this? I suppose only hardcore Geeks like myself would but I have seen there are others on the forums who might feel the same... or am I just a psychotic obsessive compulsive lunatic who puts too much emphasis on trivial things? As pipe smokers I suspect other folks, while maybe not Pete Geeks or even folks who like Peterson pipes might relate somehow, maybe you like Savinelli pipes or *insert factory pipe company name here* pipes or artisan pipes only, but still expect certain lines and looks to a pipe that carries a specific name or shape applied to it and see that there are regularly misses on online offerings.

If image 1 had the same heel/foot as image 2, I'd say it is a perfect offering of what the shape should be.

Now this isn't me looking to bash the company that I love and support, because I started with cobs and eventually some Stanwells back in the day, it was the P Lip and system that really got me hooked on pipe smoking, that and McClellands Frog Morton and Petersons Irish Flake and the Nic hit from that, I will always smoke my petes and love every one I own and continue to support the company.

I just needed to, I guess, get this off my chest, out of my head and put it out there and get some discussion going. It all started when I saw this damn near perfect example in a Spigot system 313 on eBay from TobaccoPipes.com's eBay store.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

I was ready to pull the trigger when I realized... no, wait, it says two available, the chances of you getting the exact pipe in the image are slim to none and you'll probably end up with something that looks like image 3 above and be completely unhappy with it. But it seems they might have used the best example of what they shape should be, so maybe they are aware of what I am?

Anyway enough rambling, time to finish this pipe of 1792, get off the computer and tend to the honey bees. If you know what I am talking about and can relate, let me know so I don't feel so insane, if you think I am insane, hell let me know too...

It's a hard knock life for us, it's a hard knock life for us, instead of treated, we get tricked...

Jon C.P.G.

Might Stick Around
Sep 29, 2023
Canada
Hot tip: usually a store also has a pipe available online, as well as eBay, often at a lower price. And, one can, as usual as for more details.
Oh I am aware, but to save their time I will just wait until I come across a smooth spigot 313 on SmokingPipes that I know will be the one I get if I purchase.

Reactions: grimpeur

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Great write up, Jon. This is exactly why I don't own one yet. I'm hoping to eventually get a 313 spigot system but I'm not holding my breath for the precise reasons you outlined.

Like @grimpeur said, TP will photograph the pipes they have available and send them to you if you ask. Though it's an extra step, I find their requested pics more telling of the shape you'll get than from SP's photos. They're happy to take a shot from any angle you request.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
This isn't going to be a long drawn out post ...
Yes, it will be ... :ROFLMAO:

Does anyone else notice this ?
Yes --- but they don't always have sufficient briar blocks and must make do with what they have.

or am I just a psychotic obsessive compulsive lunatic who puts too much emphasis on trivial things?
Well that's true of all of us at times ... :ROFLMAO:

Don't rule out the Savinelli 620 (fka 604) it is also a very nice pipe.

Here's my two - XL339S and Peterson Pub Pipe which is also a bent dutch.

1718415800922.jpeg 1718415904536.jpeg

This should be playing in the background while reading this thread !

Last edited:

dingdong

Can't Leave
Apr 2, 2024
Jakarta, Indonesia
I have a 313 system pipe bought in 2023..small pipe, thin wall so it tend to get hot, but i can't seem to get a good smoke out of it-top part is generally ok then it gets acrid. I put the pipe aside, and of course its tempting to relight again, to the same remorse. Not sure why. Also the (P Lip) stem is thick and squarish so not really comfortable unless you get a big teeth like a Rhinoceros.

So considering this is a new pipe, i wouldn't budge and decided to go medieval on it. Purgatory !

The original pipe was dark stained. first torture is the alcohol bath : to dip the bowl into pure alcohol (and removing the stains). indeed dark stains. then I get it flushed with hot water and let it soak, let it dry, etc. This is after 15minutes..so much stain on a small dinky pipe. on 99% pure alcohol.
WhatsApp Image 2024-06-15 at 09.35.35.jpeg
Dried out in Hot Humid tropical sun
WhatsApp Image 2024-06-15 at 09.34.35.jpeg
The stain removed, it fades when dry, but the stamping are mostly gone ! Most likely it was stamped on thick stain , with a very thin, light stamp, so when the stain removed, there are almost no physical stamp on the briar.:rolleyes:🤪

Next stage of purgatory is boiled water to exorcise the alcohol.
WhatsApp Image 2024-06-15 at 09.42.24.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2024-06-15 at 09.38.05.jpeg
The taste probably improves yet i will let it rest for few more days after such purgatory.. puffy puffy puffy

WhatsApp Image 2024-06-06 at 22.35.06.jpeg

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Like most of all Peterson, shapes might be little off depends on when and who made it. Any bent pipes, I prefer a fat bottom. Sorta flat broad base that accentuate the base of the bowl. But there are times when shapes are so out of control, it's hard to tell which shape it is. This occurs mostly during the holidays with their gimmick pipes. Usually, rusticated are the worst.

Best bet is to get the pipe made on Wednesday. This will allow carvers to get over the weekend hangover, and too early for getting tanked before the confession. Problem is, they won't tell you which ones were made in Wednesday. So, you just gotta look at the pictures carefully while sober to order a pipe.

Jon C.P.G.

Might Stick Around
Sep 29, 2023
Canada
I have a 313 system pipe bought in 2023..small pipe, thin wall so it tend to get hot, but i can't seem to get a good smoke out of it-top part is generally ok then it gets acrid. I put the pipe aside, and of course its tempting to relight again, to the same remorse. Not sure why. Also the (P Lip) stem is thick and squarish so not really comfortable unless you get a big teeth like a Rhinoceros.

So considering this is a new pipe, i wouldn't budge and decided to go medieval on it. Purgatory !

The original pipe was dark stained. first torture is the alcohol bath : to dip the bowl into pure alcohol (and removing the stains). indeed dark stains. then I get it flushed with hot water and let it soak, let it dry, etc. This is after 15minutes..so much stain on a small dinky pipe. on 99% pure alcohol.
View attachment 317391
Dried out in Hot Humid tropical sun
View attachment 317392
The stain removed, it fades when dry, but the stamping are mostly gone ! Most likely it was stamped on thick stain , with a very thin, light stamp, so when the stain removed, there are almost no physical stamp on the briar.:rolleyes:🤪

Next stage of purgatory is boiled water to exorcise the alcohol.
View attachment 317394
View attachment 317393
The taste probably improves yet i will let it rest for few more days after such purgatory.. puffy puffy puffy

View attachment 317390
You'll have to update on how it smokes after the exorcism!

This is the 313 I smoked this morning, both sides. I grabbed it because it looked like a proper 313 no matter which side ya looked at.

1000008125.jpg

1000008126.jpg

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
That's a gorgeous pipe and ticks all the happy boxes for me. How does she smoke and what do you smoke in er?
Thanks, it was actually a gift from a forum member. My first system and first pre-republic. Was very dark from decades of handling, and I left the out of sharp bend in it because 1) someone did it to make it fit their style and 2) the full bend would have it annoyingly in my goatee because I’m a constant clencher myself.
It smokes very well, and seems to do better with drier strong rubbed flakes which is awesome because that’s what I like best.

Jon C.P.G.

Might Stick Around
Sep 29, 2023
Canada
Thanks, it was actually a gift from a forum member. My first system and first pre-republic. Was very dark from decades of handling, and I left the out of sharp bend in it because 1) someone did it to make it fit their style and 2) the full bend would have it annoyingly in my goatee because I’m a constant clencher myself.
It smokes very well, and seems to do better with drier strong rubbed flakes which is awesome because that’s what I like best.
I have a guess on who the forum member was because someone here was very generous with me on something I missed out on some time back. They told me they were an active member here in emails and it's one of two reasons I joined so that is awesome, there are lots of good generous folks in the Peterson fan community. I've done my best to pay it forward as well.

Yeah my 313s and 8s deluxe pipes do best with the same, strong rubbed out flakes more on the dry side, never could get the hang of fold and stuffed flakes except for MacBaren Navy Flake, it's one of the few stuff it and forget it flakes I enjoy.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Here are three pictures taken from the internet
With regard to the 'heel and foot' --- I think the difference between 1&2 is more optical illusion because of the dark stain of 1. I would have to see the pipes in hand, as you can't really tell from pictures. I agree that 2's v-cut is more rounded but still not a bad pipe and I wouldn't turn it down if gifted to me (;)) that could be worn down over time. 3 is clearly a beginner effort to make the shape. It need a tad more time on the sander. The older stummels of the 60s 70s and early 80s did have the cheekier lower bowls. That style seems to have gone out of favor unfortunately. I'm guessing its a trade off of weight to style. Personally I always prefer more wood than less.

In another thread awhile ago I wrote that the true hungarian shape bowl was cheekier, flatter and less cylindrical. The cylindrical bowl seems to have been a 'western' (England, Ireland, Italy) m
odification or version of the original hungarian shape. This is an example of what was one of three true hungarian shapes of which the bent dutch became the modern version.
1718456739744.png

Things tend to evolve over time.

jaingorenard

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
I think this is a real problem with a lot of modern 313s - they just don't look like 313s! If it's to do with the available briar as rumoured, they shouldn't make the shape rather than approximations that really look nothing like it. Here's a Made in England 313 with AB stem (before cleaning, but I'm away at the mo, and I only have the image I saved from ebay):s-l1600 (5).jpg