PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

theboz

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2013
United States
Well, I enjoyed myself at the TAPS Show today, got to try out a few blends and purchased my first straight pipe, a Savinelli. I also won one of the raffles and got a tin of Mac Baren navy flake with two Fonseca cigars (both of which I split with a friend). They also gave out two tins of Sutliff tobacco at the door.

img_20130413_155748-600x450.jpg

img_20130413_155815-600x450.jpg

The Sutliff tins are Great Outdoors and Bacchanalia, the samples I have left are C&D Autumn Evening, P&C Marquee: Cerberus, Mississippi River, Jackknife Plug, and Low Country Tobacco: Waccamaw.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Boz,
That rocks :) The closest thing like that I have ever been to was the "The Big Smoke" in NY and Atlantic City. I would live a pipe show like that but we are all about no public smoking in NJ, so I will have to travel for that.
Great haul sir. By the looks I can see you had a great time :puffy:

oldredbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2012
Love that Sav. glad to here it was a successful show. I might make it there next year if they have it, it's about 7 hours from me.

theboz

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2013
United States
Yeah I'm a little leery of the Sutliff tobacco especially the Bacchanalia, wine flavored aromatic :?

and the biggest problem I've read about Great Outdoors is bite so I'll have to be careful. But who am I to argue with the price.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Thanks Roth- I will look into that. Newark is only about 75 min up the Turnpike from here

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
Nice score! I just found Great Outdoors to be kinda bland, it doesn't taste bad but what flavor it does have you wish was richer. Nice Sav I hope you enjoy it!

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
Nice haul. I have a buddy that really likes the Sutliff stuff. To each is own I guess.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Nice Boz! I like the finish on that Sav...the carved line really classes it up.
Jackknife Plug has been on my to get list, but I keep bumping it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Saw those nice Savs and almost bought one, but had already spent my budget on a Luciano sandblast

billiard that smokingpipes.com brought up from S.C. for me at my request, saving me shipping -- also

knocked a little change off the top on price. Thank you SMC. My goodie bag 'baccies were Taste of

Summer and Great Outdoors. Last year's Westminster, an English blend, was okay. I bid on pipe

racks in the silent auction, but that was early in the day. Sampled an English blend from one of the

exhibitors, but found it a little too tame. Bought some pipe cleaners at a good price. I thought they

might have broken up the prize package at the 11 o'clock raffle drawing -- two pipes and three tins

of tobacco -- into two or three prizes, to spread around the winnings, but the organizers did such

a good job overall, I won't complain. The folks at the ticket table and the exhibitors are all so

friendly, and lots of good conversation at the picnic tables outside where there were ashtrays.

Just a good job all around. Thank you TAPS and guests.

Status
Not open for further replies.