PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Rub down with Magic Erasers, or the lighter/wet paper towel method to remove the oxidation. Make a paste of water and Barkeeper's Friend, apply to stem and let dry. Thumb buff the Barkeeper's Friend off and rinse with water and dry. Apply a small dot of plain white toothpaste such as Colgate to your thumb and evenly coat the stem. Allow to dry a bit, 30+ minutes, and thumb buff until gone. The toothpaste may need 2-3 applications, but more often than not, one application suffices.

Do you get a sulfur smell when you rinse the stem?

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
In my experience, that means that the stem surface already is oxidized. A clean shiny stem will be not affected by a rain drop but an already oxidized will show the drop for whatever reason.
and That is true,same experience, if your vulcanite stem bite zone gets dull after smoking,then most likely it is gradually starting to oxidize

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
That explains a lot. I've wondered why my saliva while smoking doesn't cause the smell but rubbing the stem while rinsing it does.
Warming a stem by rubbing your thumb on it is a sure fire way to determine if it's ebonite or not.?

Jef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2019
North Carolina
Tried the tooth paste and left it on for 1 1/2 hrs. Spots are almost gone. Had to leave for work so had to clean it off. Going to re-apply it when I get home. Seems to be working well.
Jef

Status
Not open for further replies.