PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2019
North Carolina
Went to get in my car this evening and several rainn drops got on my vulcanized stem leaving some brown spots. Is there a way to get them out by hand? I don't have a buffing wheel.
Thx
Jef

Spinkle

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 16, 2019
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I've used Mr. Clean Magic Erasers on some of my vulcanite stems which had turned green and they turned out nice and black, though I don't have a buffing wheel so I'm not able to make them shiny again...

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Teach me your secrets.
Rub down with Magic Erasers, or the lighter/wet paper towel method to remove the oxidation. Make a paste of water and Barkeeper's Friend, apply to stem and let dry. Thumb buff the Barkeeper's Friend off and rinse with water and dry. Apply a small dot of plain white toothpaste such as Colgate to your thumb and evenly coat the stem. Allow to dry a bit, 30+ minutes, and thumb buff until gone. The toothpaste may need 2-3 applications, but more often than not, one application suffices.

dino

Lifer
Jul 9, 2011
Chicago
Jef, as I've said on another thread, for cleaning of stems with oxidation (also rain drops), I do all the cleaning by hand. First, scrubbing with a piece of Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, then polishing with Flitz polish (available on Amazon, and at most Ace Hardware stores), it is non-abrasive , acid-free and non-toxic. I finish by applying Obsidian oil.
For less oxidized stems, I just use the Flitz and Obsidian oil.

Reactions: gamzultovah and Jef

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
What is Barkeepers Friend? Where do you get it? Thx
Jef
A mild cleansing powder found in department stores.

bar-keepers-friend-all-purpose-cleaners-11514-64_1000.jpg

Since thumb buffing with toothpaste, I haven't had to apply oil or wax to a stem for a couple of years now.

Reactions: Jef

dino

Lifer
Jul 9, 2011
Chicago
^chasingembers, that's why I finish with Obsidian oil, as directed on the bottle. I've never had my stems turn out with a matte finish. Perhaps you aren't buffing them enough after using the Flitz. I wipe vigorously using polo shirt material rags. Perhaps you might try using a microfiber cloth to buff off the Flitz? Hope you have better luck.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
^chasingembers, that's why I finish with Obsidian oil, as directed on the bottle. I've never had my stems turn out with a matte finish. Perhaps you aren't buffing them enough after using the Flitz. I wipe vigorously using polo shirt material rags. Perhaps you might try using a microfiber cloth to buff off the Flitz? Hope you have better luck.
Gotcha.? I just use my thumb with the Barkeeper's Friend and toothpaste. No oil necessary afterwards.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Barkeeper's Friend does a great job of polishing porcelain. I can see where it would work well on a stem. For badly oxidized stems, or severely mouth crud gunked up stems, micromesh pads, when used properly, leave a glass-like polish. The only reason I apply a bit of Halcyon wax is to reduce the return of oxidation.
A buffer isn't a necessity, and I say that as someone who spent a decade restoring jewelry, some of it museum pieces over 200 years old, using buffers and other tools of the trade on a daily basis. If you don't have a delicate touch, do your pipes a favor and stay away from buffers.

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Micromesh Pads and water based automotive paint polish. This will bring your stems back to like new condition and all of the polishing can be done by hand. After that, use a good crystalline wax like Renaissance and you're stems are good for a few years.

Any water based automotive paint polish will do: Mothers, Meguiar's...Wizards Mystic Cut is my favorite. Do not get the polisih on the briar as it may cause some damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.