PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jabo

Can't Leave
Jan 26, 2016
Anybody tried something called rabbit tobacco.Just wondering what y'all think.

Dec 28, 2015
When we were young kids we used to pick it and smoke it in corn cob pipes. Was fun at the time. Can't imagine that it would be good to me now though.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
image.png

As a kid, my grandfather pointed it out to me, growing along the fields. I tried it, and I eventually decided cigarettes were more appealing, back then. I've recently, as you know Jabo, have tried it at pipe club meetings. It's interesting, and I can see why a guy who doesn't have any other form of tobacco might smoke it. It's interesting, almost menthol-like or herdbally tasting. I wonder what quality it might have that has kept it alive in smoking folklore for so long. Why did guys smoke it? Does it have a medicinal property? Was it blended with tobacco?

Sjmiller CPG

(sjmiller)
May 8, 2015
Morgan County, Tennessee
It does have a variety of medicinal uses which vary according to use. Smoking it is supposed to help with respiratory problems while drinking tea made from it is said to cure a number of illnesses. I would think it's remaining know as a tobacco alternative is the fact that it is free. I would imagine it was widely used by those living in rural areas during hard economic times. A non tobacco example would be coffee made from roasted acorns. When my grandmother was young and they didn't have money for real coffee they would make "acorn coffee".

jabo

Can't Leave
Jan 26, 2016
According to what I've read,it does have some medicinal uses such as relieving congestion. Have used it smoking and in a tea when much younger. Gonna try mixing some with tobacco ,albeit some thing cheap like PA,HandH, or some Ryo I have, to see what happens. Probably only 10 percent or so. Will keep y'all posted. Anybody wants some,send me a PM. Got access to plenty.

Status
Not open for further replies.