PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshremy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 11, 2012
I decided to try my hand at a higher quality plateau briar now that I'm feeling more comfortable with my pipe making skill.
I must say the higher quality briar is harder and the grain is fantastic! It made carving according to the grain fun and rather free!
I would love to hear some constructive criticism or advice on how I might improve, or ideas I might try to incorporate. I'd love to hear from you.
If you'd like to know about the process, tools, or briar, I'd love to share!
Also: I've had some requests for sale of my other pipes. Im not the biggest fan of conducting sales. However, If I am going to sell a pipe it will definitely be on BriarBid.com where I can let the auction platform do the business for me! So if I decide to put one up, you'll find it there!
Here she is: :)
r13-freehand-plateau-briar-600x600.jpg

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Freehands aren't my thing, but I have to say that is one of the finest I've seen. Well done!

oldredbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2012
That grain is awesome, and I really like the shape. It's one great looking freehand. Fine job!

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
That pipe looks amazing. I especially like the 'natural' finish on this particular pipe. My only beef with this pipe (and my only problem with freehands in general) is the rim of the bowl is not smooth.

sebastian

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2013
Nicely done. Ive been wanting to try my hand at making a few smokers. Where do you get your materials, if I may ask?

joshremy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 11, 2012
This plateau briar came from Pimo.
Its the medium bent plateau briar.

Their briar is fairly dense with a great grain.

joshremy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 11, 2012
I've tried out a good number of tools and I've come down to these:
- Bandsaw

- rasp file

- dremel with carving/burr removal tip for finishing the curve where the shank meets the bowl and other design carvings

- a curved wood carving blade for more delicate spots in a tight curve (its like a chisel with a u-shaped blade)

- sand paper - 100 to 2000 grit

- a buffing and polishing wheel

- fiebings leather dye for stain

- carnauba wax for finish
thats about it. once the rough cuts have been made, its a bunch of filing with the rasp to shape, then some carving at the shank and bowl, and then a whole bunch of sanding.... and then re-sanding, because as you move to finer grit paper, small lines show through that you missed, so sometimes you have to go back to a larger grit to remove it and then move on to higher to continue refining. polishing is just carnauba wax and 2 wheels. although with this one, I hand waxed with paragon pipe wax and then buffed with a wheel, because the shape was harder to get in the wheel.
And that it how I do it. I'm sure I'm doing some things wrong and there are some things I could do better, but I've never seen how its properly done, so I've developed my own style along the way. Its better than the carpenter saw and tons of sandpaper I was doing at the beginning.

kinny141

Lurker
Jan 10, 2013
I'm also going to be finishing my freehand hopefully by the end of this week. Waiting on supplies to get in. I am also worried about the staining and waxing of the plateau top.

joshremy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 11, 2012
Staining should be easy. I always use a small paint brush, and that has no problems getting in there.
As this plateau was fairly deep and sharp, I had to use a small paint brush and soft pipe wax to brush it in a very little bit at a time, then I used a buffing cone in my hand and hand polished it since a cloth really couldnt get in there, and a wheel was practically useless on it.

Jan 8, 2013
I'm wondering if I could just wittle it with good sharp knife, and then sand it smooth. Might take forever that way, but it would be a nice way to pass the time sitting outside on the steps.

joshremy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 11, 2012
A knife could definitely do it. I carved the shank on a couple pipes using a knife. It would certainly pass a good deal of time. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.