PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

aeghbal

Lurker
Sep 29, 2023
Title edited: original:

Quitting Smoking and Smoking Pipe Instead

Hi guys,
I started smoking pipe about 2 months ago and it is perhaps one of the greatest experiences of my life. I am into meditation and contemplation and solitude and into drinking beer and wine and whisky in nature alone and pipe made it all 10x better. But I am long term cigarette smoker. I can't smoke cigarretes anymore. I cough like crazy after every cigarrette and recently they have been giving me headaches and to be honest I am worried about potential stroke possibility with cigarretes. It's been a few days I haven't smoked. I'd eventually like to smoke pipes only though (not inhaling ofcourse). Is there anybody who successfully quit smoking and started smoking pipes here that might have any advice? From what I understand most pipe smokers are not really addicted to nicotine too much. They will not need to smoke like 10 bowls and cigarretes in between. It doesn't seem to be an addiction as much and more of an aesthetic enjoyment. My attempt is to quit all tabaco for atleast a few weeks and then slowly just introduce pipe smoking. I'd appreciate any feedback.

Thank you,
Amir

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Tate

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I was a 2 pack a day guy for years. I tried to quit a number of times and could manage a few weeks at best.

Then, one day as I was leaving the Disney lot, as I clocked out, I pulled out the last cigarette from the pack, tossed the pack in the trash, finished the cigarette, put it out and decided that I wouldn’t have another one until I really wanted it.

That was in the Fall of 1983, and I’ve neither smoked another cigarette, nor wanted to.

The difference is that I had made an internal decision that I no longer wanted to smoke cigarettes, and actually didn’t smoke anything for several years until I returned to the pipe.

When you really want to move on from cigarettes you will simply do it.

aeghbal

Lurker
Sep 29, 2023
Well that's the whole problem right? Alot of people never get to that point and end up dying from cigarretes. I cough my lungs out when I smoke but I am not quite there to truly never want to touch a cigarrette again. I am getting close to that point though. It is only my second attempt to quit. I think the number of times you tried to quite come into it. At a certain point you get sick of yourself for failing so many times and your will power over rides the addiction.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Good on you and Good Luck getting off cigarettes

Switching over to a pipe was what I did in the early 1970s as an undergraduate to get off cigarettes
Stopped smoking altogether when the family came along mid-80s
Got into cigars in early 2000’s and started back with pipes a few years ago.
Love my pipes so much now that my once beloved cigars get little time.

aeghbal

Lurker
Sep 29, 2023
Good on you and Good Luck getting off cigarettes

Switching over to a pipe was what I did in the early 1970s as an undergraduate to get off cigarettes
Stopped smoking altogether when the family came along mid-80s
Got into cigars in early 2000’s and started back with pipes a few years ago.
Love my pipes so much now that my once beloved cigars get little time.
Do you feel addicted to nicotine at all?

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
The frequency of smoking pipes or cigars, depends on your economy, and the desire you have to smoke pipes or cigars. In other words, if your body asks for it, do it. If you don't feel like it, for x reasons, or other circumstances, quit, at that moment, that day. Listen to your body. Maybe it tells you, hey kid, I want to smoke and relax for a while, then, it's your ideal time. Experiment for a while. One day comes that moment, when your body tells you, enough, maybe, and with luck, that day doesn't come, and you keep smoking like an industrial chimney. Especially when the day comes that your body starts giving you signals, good or bad. It seems that genetics plays a crucial role. And that salad of factors of your environment, social, cultural, geographic, etc, etc and more etc, plays a crucial role. Of course, this is a personal opinion, and not binding, much less conclusive.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I quit smoking cigarettes, a few months ago. I filled the void with dip, and nasal snuff. Whatever It takes. Better than smoking cigarettes. So I'm still constantly getting nicotine, just not all the harsh poisons and chemicals like in cigarettes.

MattRVA

Lifer
Feb 6, 2019
Richmond Virginia
I quit cigarettes a year and a half ago but I vape for nicotine. I hate it but it’s convenient and dip is out of the question for me medically. If you want to be successful I recommend getting the nicotine patches and ween down slowly until you are nicotine free. Let at least a year pass without nicotine before you start pipe smoking. If you’re like me and require nicotine, the pipe might not be the best method. I smoke a pipe for the experience not for the nicotine. Hope this helps, honestly everyone is different.

Reactions: BenMN

PaulRVA

Lifer
May 29, 2023
“Tobacco Row “Richmond Virginia USA
I smoked cigarettes for 35-36 years
And actually had a stroke and quit
Over a year ago. I picked up my pipes which were a on an off again hobby with me for 30 years as well.
I can tell you first hand that the cigarettes will catch up to you eventually, when that is going to be is anyones guess but it’s in your future. I did the patch for a week
And threw them away and did an occasional dip of Copenhagen pouches for a fix. I smoke an average of 5 bowls a day but most days 3-4 but I now have the time
To do that being retired.
Try ZYN or Snus to stop the cigarettes. I can also say that after 3 days of no cigarettes you can fight through it and stay off them.
Good luck in your attempt.

Tate

Lifer
Sep 27, 2023
Northern Illinois
I smoked cigarettes for 35-36 years
And actually had a stroke and quit
Over a year ago. I picked up my pipes which were a on an off again hobby with me for 30 years as well.
I can tell you first hand that the cigarettes will catch up to you eventually, when that is going to be is anyones guess but it’s in your future. I did the patch for a week
And threw them away and did an occasional dip of Copenhagen pouches for a fix. I smoke an average of 5 bowls a day but most days 3-4 but I now have the time
To do that being retired.
Try ZYN or Snus to stop the cigarettes. I can also say that after 3 days of no cigarettes you can fight through it and stay off them.
Good luck in your attempt.
Thanks for this reply. I have been getting into pipes and really enjoying it. I'm going to get off the cigarettes today. I'm actually having the last one now on lunch. I made sure to clear out any stashes. I got some Night Cap for when I get home to relax.

Tate

Lifer
Sep 27, 2023
Northern Illinois
Title edited: original:

Quitting Smoking and Smoking Pipe Instead

Hi guys,
I started smoking pipe about 2 months ago and it is perhaps one of the greatest experiences of my life. I am into meditation and contemplation and solitude and into drinking beer and wine and whisky in nature alone and pipe made it all 10x better. But I am long term cigarette smoker. I can't smoke cigarretes anymore. I cough like crazy after every cigarrette and recently they have been giving me headaches and to be honest I am worried about potential stroke possibility with cigarretes. It's been a few days I haven't smoked. I'd eventually like to smoke pipes only though (not inhaling ofcourse). Is there anybody who successfully quit smoking and started smoking pipes here that might have any advice? From what I understand most pipe smokers are not really addicted to nicotine too much. They will not need to smoke like 10 bowls and cigarretes in between. It doesn't seem to be an addiction as much and more of an aesthetic enjoyment. My attempt is to quit all tabaco for atleast a few weeks and then slowly just introduce pipe smoking. I'd appreciate any feedback.

Thank you,
Amir
I'll be joining you, buddy. I want to get off the smokes too. Let me know how it goes and I'll check in as well. We can share tips as we go!

PaulRVA

Lifer
May 29, 2023
“Tobacco Row “Richmond Virginia USA
Thanks for this reply. I have been getting into pipes and really enjoying it. I'm going to get off the cigarettes today. I'm actually having the last one now on lunch. I made sure to clear out any stashes. I got some Night Cap for when I get home to relax.
Trust me get some zyn or dip to stave off the withdrawals and the transition will be easier.
I worked with 5 people that I know of who were heavy drinkers and smokers 2 of us are still here after having strokes and recovering.
The others kept on and they are gone now. All 50 years old and younger. Not worth it man.
You can do this! Nightcap will be a good start and nic hit to help out.

Tate

Lifer
Sep 27, 2023
Northern Illinois
Trust me get some zyn or dip to stave off the withdrawals and the transition will be easier.
I worked with 5 people that I know of who were heavy drinkers and smokers 2 of us are still here after having strokes and recovering.
The others kept on and they are gone now. All 50 years old and younger. Not worth it man.
You can do this! Nightcap will be a good start and nic hit to help out.
Thanks buddy! I will pick up some zyn to have on hand!

Reactions: BenMN and PaulRVA

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Getting off cigarettes was absurdly simple. Nat Sherman sold to another company and luxury MCD's were no longer available. So, no more cigarette smoking, I find not having cigarettes available, on my person or in the house the easiest way to quit. That's what I did some years ago when I quit them for five years. Much as I enjoy a cigarette I refuse to smoke ones wrapped in chemically infused paper. The normal amount of carcinogens released when tobacco is burned is all the risk I'm willing to take. Plus, the infused paper in place to keep the cigarette burning while laying in the ashtray. Too much money going up in smoke without the fun of the nicotine. Just seemed like a waste! :sher:

Last edited:

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Stop smoking cigs altogether and use Snuff to ween, and as another smart member has said load up on nicotine in the morning with a heavy blend like 5 Brothers and the same just before you go to bed someone mentioned Nightcap. While you ween you want to keep your nicotine level up when the body has been deprived of it with your sleep cycle. Then smoke a midlevel blend/s throughout the day with snuff when you need a Nic uptick. Gradually you will smoke less for nicotine and more for enjoyment. I admit I love Nicotine in all it's forms but I have quit Cigarettes for years at a time, cold turkey and with snuff and cigars and pipes. It can be done you just have to decide and stick to it. Best of luck.

Reactions: BenMN and Tate