PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Smoking a cigar with a holder is a significantly different experience, as the taste of the tobacco on your mouth alters its perception fairly radically. A second point I'd make, if only because I happen to have a couple of 100 year old cigars, is that cigars back then may not have been rolled the way modern cigars are. They're somewhat flimsy and loose without apparent concern for draw. Drooling on one would probably destroy it---flatten it and make it undrawable---fairly quickly.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
The 'purpose' of this holder I think was to demonstrate wealth and status to others. Imagine you are in a smoking room somewhere 100+ years ago, and someone busts this out. You're sitting there with the cigar in your mouth while someone uses this.

Interesting piece though.

Kinda like when some old white guy shows up at the cigar lounge in full hip-hop blinged out regalia.

Respect, bro.

CD65BEF2-037F-4786-B924-7608EDC903AD.jpeg

Reactions: jvnshr
Kinda like when some old white guy shows up at the cigar lounge in full hip-hop blinged out regalia.

Respect, bro.
Don't pick on @BROBS, he is really trying to be a better person. puffy

Smoking a cigar with a holder is a significantly different experience, as the taste of the tobacco on your mouth alters its perception fairly radically. A second point I'd make, if only because I happen to have a couple of 100 year old cigars, is that cigars back then may not have been rolled the way modern cigars are. They're somewhat flimsy and loose without apparent concern for draw. Drooling on one would probably destroy it---flatten it and make it undrawable---fairly quickly.
Hmmmm, could it be that your 100 year old cigars are just shriveled up?

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
One of the best parts of cigar smoking is tobacco touching your lips, I still can't understand why to put a holder in between. The holder looks cool though.

This. I guess the benefit is the holder keeps you from soiling your after-dinner, brandy-drinking, snooker-playing gloves. Plus, you can have your butler, Mobley, hold it while you try a difficult English play on the table, and he won't soil his gloves, either.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma

Interesting. These sound like old cheroots. I have had quite a few Clear Havanas (maybe 50 total) and each one has been rock hard like a dowel from decades of aging (though most had an impeccable draw). I have not had any old cheroots, however.

Reactions: BROBS