PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sir Yak

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 15, 2022
Arkansas
So I found in my old man’s pipes this unsmoked meer. From Turkey I guess from label on stem and obtained at some point in 1980s. No clue if it’s unsmoked cause he didnt like meers, or thought it was too pretty to smoke. No clue. He’s been gone for 20 plus years and I can’t get an answer. I see on the forum folks smoking meers and I have seen some real beauties. Im been looking at getting one of my own, but I realize I have one right here. I’m been kicking around stuffing this thing with some baccy, but wanted first to get some input from forum.

From my casual glance, this is just another meer. It is unmarked except for a sticker that says it’s from some city in Turkey. I’m pretty sure this isn’t some rare find that needs a spot on antique roadshow. im totally fine putting fire to thing is my guess. So that’s my plan unless someone says bad idea.

next question on my list is there anything special I need for a meer. Another piper I was talking with locally told me I should put beeswax on it to help it color? I haven’t seen that here on the forum but maybe I missed it. Again. My thought is load it. Next step is spark it. No prep required.

last wonderment is what do I smoke out of it. I know I can smoke whatever I usually smoke in it but I’m starting to have pipes I dedicate stuff to. I have definitely struggled though with VA based blends getting some mild bite. Little frustrating actually. Enjoying aros and English blends with no probs. Would a meer be a good way to slow the VA bite or it doesn’t matter. Load it with what sounds good and enjoy.

I overthink things obviously, but I appreciate the input from other members. Thanks in advance.
View attachment 130989View attachment 130990
What a great meet!

Reactions: Latakia Dave

Sidehatch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 30, 2022
Colorado
Yeah, I'm quite sure that was a joke. Yours is carved in the shape of the "calabash" pipes, which have a meerschaum or clay bowl set into a body made from an African gourd, but yours is all-meerschaum. The carving is the Turkish-created "lattice" style. It's a lovely no-name 1970s meerschaum. Load 'er up with your favorite leaf and puff away. Just don't let the cake get thick (not as thick as a briar) and never dig down into the heel with a pipe knife.
Good intel. Appreciate the info.

meercatpat

Lurker
Mar 28, 2014
Massachusetts
So I found in my old man’s pipes this unsmoked meer. From Turkey I guess from label on stem and obtained at some point in 1980s. No clue if it’s unsmoked cause he didnt like meers, or thought it was too pretty to smoke. No clue. He’s been gone for 20 plus years and I can’t get an answer. I see on the forum folks smoking meers and I have seen some real beauties. Im been looking at getting one of my own, but I realize I have one right here. I’m been kicking around stuffing this thing with some baccy, but wanted first to get some input from forum.

From my casual glance, this is just another meer. It is unmarked except for a sticker that says it’s from some city in Turkey. I’m pretty sure this isn’t some rare find that needs a spot on antique roadshow. im totally fine putting fire to thing is my guess. So that’s my plan unless someone says bad idea.

next question on my list is there anything special I need for a meer. Another piper I was talking with locally told me I should put beeswax on it to help it color? I haven’t seen that here on the forum but maybe I missed it. Again. My thought is load it. Next step is spark it. No prep required.

last wonderment is what do I smoke out of it. I know I can smoke whatever I usually smoke in it but I’m starting to have pipes I dedicate stuff to. I have definitely struggled though with VA based blends getting some mild bite. Little frustrating actually. Enjoying aros and English blends with no probs. Would a meer be a good way to slow the VA bite or it doesn’t matter. Load it with what sounds good and enjoy.

I overthink things obviously, but I appreciate the input from other members. Thanks in advance.
View attachment 130989View attachment 130990
Looks like a late 70s to early 80s Koncak lattice calabash and a perfect daily smoker. Get to it, and let us know how you like it.

Last edited by a moderator:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Looks like a late 70s to early 80s Koncak lattice calabash and a perfect daily smoker. Get to it, and let us know how you like it.

Thank you! I have deleted the duplicate in the post.

And, Do put your location in your Profile, as people are forgetful, please.
Why: It will save time for others as to where you live when you mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc. In many instances that saves time for those who read your posts, and for you in not having to reply to inquiries. .
How:
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. province, etc.

Sharp_tungsten

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 25, 2021
Evans City Pennsylvania
@Chasing Embers answered this question Jerry ages ago and I think even sawed a meerschaum pipe down the centre to illustrate his point. You can wax them if you want but it really doesn't do that much other than give you a waxy pipe. The only way to color the damned things is to smoke the piss out of a pipe, again Mr. Embers has an excellent pipe to illustrate the point. I really don't have a dog in this discussion since someone over 100+ years ago colored my pipes for me. That being said I have had a few 19th century specimens that have not been smoked to death that I have slowly colored and posted on here. Enjoy your pipe and think of your Father whilst smoking it as I am sure he would approve.
I'm with you, I like thinking of the old days of who colored these great pipes we find...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220325-153614_Etsy.jpg
    Screenshot_20220325-153614_Etsy.jpg
    312.5 KB · Views: 4