PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

doctorbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Grand Ledge, Michigan
So I ended up with this pipe in a lot that I was going after to acquire an Eight-dot Lancashire.
meer-600x337.jpg

The meer passes the sticky spit test so I'm pretty sure it is block, the stem has been identified as amber by a jeweler that I trust. I have some questions about the tenon insert as I am completely unfamiliar with these kinds of materials.
The stem unscrews from the tenon insert that remains in the shank. Is this normal? I would think that the tenon insert would remain in the stem to save wear on the amber. It works pretty well as it is right now, and the insert is pretty stuck in the shank, but the amber has full thickness hairline cracks that extend into the threaded draught hole and I am worried about worsening those. Were these things normally constructed that way?
stem-mortise-threads-600x337.jpg

amber-tenon-600x337.jpg

Who should I contact to work on this thing? I would like a general clean up, and the meer has a pair of VERY small chips at the slot of the button, 0.8 by 1.0 mm in size that I would like repaired. The fact that this is amber changes the value of an otherwise 'free' pipe.
Thanks,

Doc

skaukatt

Can't Leave
I would contact Ric Farrah of http://www.briarville.com/ he specializes in restoration and stem work of meerschaum pipes. He just returned my treasured meerschaum back to me with a replacement stem, it is a work of art.
Ric comes highly lauded and I found out about him by two good buddies right here.
Good Luck and nice pipe!
Lou

armonts

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2018
France
Normally on the meerchaum pipes there is 1 fixed screw in the tube which must not be unscrewed, it has a smooth tube that protrudes and penetrate into the sleeve by gentle friction.
The sleeve also has a fixed female thread where the smooth tube of the pipe enters, which must be stuck in your pipe ...

doctorbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Grand Ledge, Michigan
Right now I am just using it as is, as the stem clocks up perfectly. I am not tightening the stem at all, jut bringing it into a gentle snugness. The pipe smokes really well, and apparently had not had more than one or two bowls through it as only the upper 1/3 of the bowl interior had any staining at all. This is a very nice pipe, and is only missing a case to make it perfect. When I have the time, I will be sending it Briarville.
PS- The pipe I was going after when I acquired the lot WAS an eight dot Lancashire in much better condition than I could have hoped for! Double win!
Doc

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Normally on the meerchaum pipes there is 1 fixed screw in the tube which must not be unscrewed, it has a smooth tube that protrudes and penetrate into the sleeve by gentle friction.
On the newer pipes, that's correct. This one is older and looks like bone with a fine thread for the stem and a larger diameter coarser thread for the stummel. The chip will be easy for Rick to fix...it would be interesting to see what he does for full thickness cracks in the amber...

Status
Not open for further replies.