PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

beerczar

Lurker
Mar 15, 2010
Okay so I'd like to join the ranks of the pipe smoking community. However, I need guidance on my first pipe to purchase. Please keep in mind, I'm on a budget, twin 3 year olds, and have never smoked before...Think minimal investment, but a pipe that's still worth buying, not a POS that will turn me off from future use. Also a good brand of tobacco recommendation? I'd like to go with a cherry cavendish flavor/smoke.
Thanks in advance!!

sapo59

Can't Leave
Dec 29, 2009
The first one I would recommend would be a corn cob pipe from the Missouri meerschaum company. They are cheap, but good to learn with. If you don't want a cob, you can pick up a Dr. Grabow for around thirty dollars at a walgreens. That's if you don't have a pipe store close. Drugstore tobaccos I would recommend are Prince Albert in the red pouch and captain black in the white pouch. These would give you a sample from both the aromatic and non-aromatic spectrum's. Read up on packing methods and smoke slow. Hope this was helpful and enjoy.

chuckw

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2009
The corn cob, as mentioned by sapo59, is a good beginners pipe. Not very elegant but easy on the pocket and easy to smoke. If you can afford about $100, a Peterson's System pipe, a Stanwell or a Savinelli are briar pipes to look into.
For tobacco, Capt.Black is a good starter but if smoked too fast, it will bite your tongue.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
The cob is a popular choice, so bear in mind that there are lots of people who disagree with me. I never did like cobs because they impart a corn-like taste for quite a long time. Worse, they have chintzy plastic stems that ruin some of pipe smoking's tactile aspects; and popular after-market real stems go for about $22.
I recommend you buy a briar pipe from the get-go because it puts the odds on your side. Pipes & Cigars.com has a large selection, so you can comparison-shop there. Once you've identified a few you like, check back and ask others' opinions of specific pipes. Your next questions should be: what size, shape, plumbing, finish, etc.
You'll spend the rest of your life exploring different tobaccos, (and never get to all of them), so I'll just suggest the following starters:

Troost Special Cavendish, and CAO/Dan Cherry Bomb.
Check Bob Tate's Blog for more ideas, opinions, and how-to tips. Oh, and welcome to the pipe world!

andrewtpoland

Lurker
Mar 15, 2010
I do have to agree with going briar first. I would suggest you get a relatively decent pipe from the start. It's a one time investment, if for whatever reason you don't like it, you can always sell it for what you got it for on Ebay. I would agree with the mention of Peterson system pipes. My first pipe that I bought was a 303 System. However, the first pipe I ever smoked was a no-name pipe that my buddy had snuck away from his dad. The key is to find something that:

A.) appeals to you aesthetically,

B.) fits your price range,

C.) appears to be within your price range and

D.) has a proper fit for you
What I mean by "fit" is that you want to feel comfortable holding your pipe. Given that the size of the bowl varies per pipe, you could end up holding it either in your mouth, your hand, or your pocket for hours! It may as well be something that you don't mind and can be quickly accustomed to. Do not under any circumstances feel hesitant to ask your local tobacconist what he thinks. These guys typically are not in a market to rip you off. The Tobacconist still caries on an old-school tradition of remembering his customers names, preferences, and BS stories. Many will be more than willing to help you to a pipe you will enjoy.
As for tobacco, BE WARNED!! Although the cherry and vanilla stuff is nice for a little while (not to mention it appeases the significant other) keep in mind that eventually you will be VERY VERY tired of it if you smoke nothing but. I would suggest you start on some non-aromatics or at least non-flavored tobaccos. I think you may really enjoy a Cavendish blend. Cavendish is a mild in flavor, yet very pleasant smelling and tasting tobacco that always has a caramel-vanilla taste to me. It tastes this way fairly naturally. Your best bet is to go to your tobacconist and sample a little of each.
ALSO EXTREMELY IMPORTANT!!!!!

If you buy a pipe that is not already broken in, PLEASE take caution in breaking it in. To break a pipe in is to coat the inside with its first few layers of carbon. This is done by smoking the pipe starting at a half bowl and moving up and need be done to prevent the pipe from cracking. If this sounds intimidating (it really isn't that big of a deal once it's explained) I would look into a previously used pipe. They are already broken in, and you can get nice pipes for very low prices. Ebay would be a good source for this as I have personally bought some of my very best pipes there used.
Best of luck, I hope this was of some use!

ghost45

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 16, 2010
Smoking on a budget ehh I feel ya. Stick with Samuel Gawith when it comes to buying tobacco; Samuel Gawith is probably the best blender out there or at least the best in europe. You'll get the most bang for your buck with Sam Gawith blends.
Also Try JR CIGARS

They have some of the cheapest prices.
As for a pipe: I have been smoking for over a year and still smoke my Corn Cob's with Pride.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
pipesandcigars.com to echo the above, have an excellent assortment of inexpensive pipes. I was looking over the "Roma"pipes just last night. Quite cheap and not bad looking. To start Prince Albert or Half and Half are both decent geezer burley blends . Old time non aromatics. Captain Black White is a nice mild aromatic as has been stated. I would avoid the Borkum Riff line. Something about the quality has gone way down in the last few years.

Art

iajaffe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2010
As a recently started pipe smoker (6months or so) I would recommend going with a briar pipe. It just feels right. As for tobacco. I asked the tobacconist what was his best selling blend. It turned out very well for me.

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
Well I'll throw in my support for the cob,
I just started smoking pipes myself a short time ago and started with a cob. I wouldn't do it over.
A few reason
1) I've never tasted the corn taste and despite being new to pipes I have a half decent palate for tobaccos from MYO experience.
2) You're talking about $7 vs. at minimum $25 for a Grabow or similar. Why not find out if you even plan to stick with it. After all pipe smoking can be a PITA and you may not take to it.
3) Cobs smoke awesome. I had none of the typically reported newbie problems. Pretty much right from the start the cob would smoke anything I stuffed in and however I stuck it in. No wet smoking. NO blazing hot bowls. No problems with excessive relights etc.
4) You don't know what kind of pipe you'll like yet. I could have given a rats behind about the "pipe" part of pipe smoking when I first started. I just didn't "get it". Didn't know a Calabash from a Dublin and frankly thought all these guys yammering on about this pipe is better than that pipe, wow this one is cool etc was sort of weird.
Now as I've learned more (with tons more to go) I was able to get my legs under me smoking the cobs and then just made my first purchase of a good briar. Now as I learn from that one I'll know enough to make a good second purchase and then a third etc.
I'd rather have several good cobs then a higher cost pipe I regret.
But as is always the case your mileage may vary.
Get to it though. You're gonna love it!
Meanwhile I'll still smoke my cobs the most and probably always will, NO fuss. No muss

sapo59

Can't Leave
Dec 29, 2009
WHATEVER you do, DO NOT buy a brylon medico or yellow bowl pipe. My first pipe was a brylon medico medalist, it almost discouraged me from take up pipe smoking altogether.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Welcome Beerczar,

We're glad to welcome you to this most pleasant of fraternities.
I have to put my two cents into this discussion.

I agree that cobs are very inexpensive, and can become great pipes.

However, I wouldn't recommend it as a first pipe.

You can find a good briar, curved or straight that can get you off on the right foot.

Meerschaums are great pipes as well, the only downside there could be a lack of information about the "care and feeding", that comes with experience.

You probably want to steer away from enameled pipes, at least at first.

Enamel may not cool very well. There are some beautiful enameled pipes available, but like a good meerschaum they take some practice.

I wrote a blog on slow smoking. There may be some information in there that can help you in your endeavor.

Dottle Diggers

Once again welcome.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Welcome Beerczar,

We're glad to welcome you to this most pleasant of fraternities.
I have to put my two cents into this discussion.

I agree that cobs are very inexpensive, and can become great pipes.

However, I wouldn't recommend it as a first pipe.

You can find a good briar, curved or straight that can get you off on the right foot.

Meerschaums are great pipes as well, the only downside there could be a lack of information about the "care and feeding", that comes with experience.

You probably want to steer away from enameled pipes, at least at first.

Enamel may not cool very well. There are some beautiful enameled pipes available, but like a good meerschaum they take some practice.

I wrote a blog on slow smoking. There may be some information in there that can help you in your endeavor.

Dottle Diggers

Once again welcome.

bytor

Can't Leave
Jan 21, 2010
Washington
I would also echo those who suggest keeping the a briar pipe, although I have never tried a cob :)
If there is one near you, I would highly recommend purchasing your first pipe at a B&M (short for Brick & Mortar a.k.a. a real store). A good pipe shop owner should be able to suggest a reliable, low-budget pipe. As for the "fit" that Andrew spoke of, I would also suggest paying special attention to the size of the pipe (both the external size & the size of the bowl), and how it "fits" you. I've learned over the years, that I don't really care all that much for larger pipes...they just don't suit me that well.

Another advantage of a good B&M...they will hopefully be able to help you will all the other requisites and have tobacco suggestions.

surfmac211

Oct 28, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
smokingpipes.com and look under new pipes for Comoy. You can get one for right around 40 to 50 bucks and are a great smoke. pipesandcigars.com is good too, but my new favorite pipe for beginners and seasoned smokers is the Comoy hands down. Looks nice and smokes just as well.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Welcome to the site!
Everyone has given a lot of good suggestions.
Just be warned, pipe smoking takes some time and patience to learn how to do it. Don't get discouraged and give up too quickly. Once you learn how, it is one of the most enjoyable experiences that I know of.

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
Just be warned, pipe smoking takes some time and patience to learn how to do it. Don't get discouraged and give up too quickly. Once you learn how, it is one of the most enjoyable experiences that I know of.
That's one of the biggest key aspects to remember. I discovered pipes after I'd been a RYO smoker for some time. If it weren't for the patience and tenacity that I'd gained through RYO, I might have been tempted to quit pipe smoking before I'd really even gotten started. As they say, don't quit before the "miracle" happens.

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
smokingpipes.com has just added a bunch of Peterson Kapets too. They look like damned nice pipes for $46.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Well here goes ,Briar all the way go to B/M and talk to the them .They will pop out a 30.00 briar out of the back that is a little off but a good pipe .Pick out three to four samples from the bulk display about two oz each .one bag of cleaners , heck if they are nice they might throw them in . Now fill the pipe about half way and try to set a rhythm , say count to 10 sip count to 10 sip nice and steady . If the bowl becomes to hot to hold ,slow down and increase the time between the sips . Now Iam a father too and I will advise you to find a place away from little angels as they will mess up the rhythm .If you do it right your mind ,your heart and your breathing will all slow down .Then my friend you will be hooked and blow enormous sums of money on pipes , tobacco , supplies , fancy pipe tools , stands ,jars , a leather chair with foot rest , fine liquor and last but not least Sherlock Holmes DVDS . Best Wishes .Iggy

Status
Not open for further replies.