Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
@bigvan, to my recollection Greg Pease has observed, I think on his website, that one or more of his pipes was a notorious biter -- not the tobacco. In fact, in this May's article, The Virtue Of Persistence, he states just about the same thing:
[I...] recall a particular Castello [...] that, for two years, irrespective of what tobacco I filled it with, stung me like a mouth full of wasps.

So, if the pipe is part of the issue, cobs might be more forgiving of improper smoking. My personal experience is pretty much in line with what you said. :lol:

steyrshrek

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2012
I think you've gotten about all the advice there is on keeping it lit and relights. Another thing that I didn't see mentioned, if you want during a relight lick your finger and just wet the rim of the pipe.
As for aromatics
I too like the Mac Barens 7 Seas Royal Blend, f you want to try your hand at a flake I really like Mac Barens Vanilla Cream Flake, C&D's Autumn Evening is good too. I like caramels, maples and vanilla's mostly.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
Another thing that I didn't see mentioned, if you want during a relight lick your finger and just wet the rim of the pipe.
To clarify, I believe steyrshrek is recommending this not to taste your pipe or to look cool (though it accomplishes both), but to help prevent rim char from use of the lighter. :lol:

Stick with matches, it's better for the tobacco and for the ritual of it.
As far as tobacco selection--just try everything you can. Seek out pipe smoking friends, tobacconists, and pipe clubs. Buy things you've never heard of and try them. Taste is such a subjective animal that the only direction that can be chosen is your own.
Welcome to the fold, and happy puffing!

steyrshrek

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2012
Matches are better, but I live in Southern Ontario, I'm relegated to smoking outside and there is always a wind. Sometimes matches are just not practical. Somedays its a struggle to get a butane lighter lit.

bryanharvey

Lurker
May 9, 2012
Thanks so much for all the advice and recommendations. I'm definitely going to consider all of these. You'll certainly be getting more questions from me (as there are only a few places to enjoy cigars/pipes in lounges here in the Daytona Beach area). Thanks again, everyone. Great stuff!

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
I just this past week went a whole week without using my lighter and only using matches (I'm in Ontario too). The reason I did this is one of our members (I forget who, sorry) said that after a week without using a pipe when you go back to it, it will taste bad. He is correct. So I am now using matches full time but like Mr steyrshrek I have my lighter for those days you just can't live with matches.

lab1dobie

Might Stick Around
Mar 11, 2012
Welcome to the forum! There's been a treasuretrove of advice already given so I won't even add more since I would only be repeating. But I will say that pipe smoking is an endless journey with thousands of pipes and tobaccos to be explored. Enjoy!

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Thanks for the link Cortez... I'll check it out.
It's certainly a new one on me.

Status
Not open for further replies.