9 Fresh Dunhill Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

gord

Starting to Get Obsessed
They'll mute flavors for the first several smokes until they begin to saturate with oils from the tobacco.

Falcon meerschaum bowls and meerschaum lined ones are fine but with all meerschaum, they're natural sponges and can ghost from the first smoke.
I'm more concerned about the Falcon meerschaum bowls in a camping environment . . . can't see how they'll stand up in a rough careless environment so I'll look at pipes instead. At least that was my rational. They are also expensive, and serviceable meer pipes come in at roughly 60% or so of the bowls. Maybe one later for in home use.

I had experiences with that ghost with the miniature. Happened real fast, as you pointed out above. Thanks.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I'm more concerned about the Falcon meerschaum bowls in a camping environment . . . can't see how they'll stand up in a rough careless environment so I'll look at pipes instead. At least that was my rational. They are also expensive,
They come with cases and this guy takes reasonable offers.

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

Brig

Might Stick Around
Jun 23, 2024
New England
Everything sounds good to me.

Except whoever said meerschaum doesn't need to be broken in, was a liar. I prefer mine after 10 to 12 bowls. 1-9 are just pure chalk taste. I hate breaking in meerschaums. But it's worth it to me. They are my favorite pipes, after the break in period.
Estate meers solve that problem near-instantaneously

gord

Starting to Get Obsessed
They come with cases and this guy takes reasonable offers.

I bought my miniature from him and he was a pleasure to deal with. Have bookmarked his site. As the Terminator said, "I'll be back." Thanks!

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I bought my miniature from him and he was a pleasure to deal with. Have bookmarked his site. As the Terminator said, "I'll be back." Thanks!
Fatma is a great fellow. Many of my pipes were purchased from him.

Reactions: gord

SmokingInTheWind

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2024
New Mexico
I
I'm more concerned about the Falcon meerschaum bowls in a camping environment . . . can't see how they'll stand up in a rough careless environment so I'll look at pipes instead. At least that was my rational. They are also expensive, and serviceable meer pipes come in at roughly 60% or so of the bowls. Maybe one later for in home use.

I had experiences with that ghost with the miniature. Happened real fast, as you pointed out above. Thanks.
I dropped my smooth, bent apple meer on the tile floor yesterday and I thought it was a goner. It did put a small flat spot on the side of the bowl, but no visible cracks on the outside. Hopefully, no cracks on the inside of the bowl. I am smoking it now, so far so good. Meerschaum is more resilient than I expected, but I agree with you that there are better choices for camping pipes.

Reactions: gord

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
I suppose it depends on the pipe and maker.

I have a real Turkish block meer made by Hüseyin Ege and I have a composite/pressed meer from Royal Meerschaum.

The Ege meer you couldn't even tell it had wax on it, the wax layer on the outside was so thin. The RM meer had a wax layer so thick you could dig into it and see it on the pipe and made the pipe look as if it were a fake made of a white crayon. <<<<<< I'm going to leave this here cause it's funny that this still happens. For the new members it's supposed to say **c r a y o n ** --didimauw

The Ege meer tasted fine from the beginning—the first few smokes were SLIGHTLY muted, but didn't taste off. No sour taste, no chalk taste, no milky taste, none of that. I know he boils them in beeswax (I've seen video on his official page on Facebook).

My RM composite meer basically just tasted like almost nothing, super muted, and having a slight waxy taste. After two smokes, I put some heat to it and then pulled a crapload of the wax out of the inside of the bowl and then it tasted normal.

These are my only meers and the only meers I have experience with, I'm hardly an authority on meerschaum. Just my anecdotal experience with two very different ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: didimauw and gord

gord

Starting to Get Obsessed
I suppose it depends on the pipe and maker.

I have a real Turkish block meer made by Hüseyin Ege and I have a composite/pressed meer from Royal Meerschaum.

The Ege meer you couldn't even tell it had wax on it, the wax layer on the outside was so thin. The RM meer had a wax layer so thick you could dig into it and see it on the pipe and made the pipe look as if it were a fake made of a white crayon.

The Ege meer tasted fine from the beginning—the first few smokes were SLIGHTLY muted, but didn't taste off. No sour taste, no chalk taste, no milky taste, none of that. I know he boils them in beeswax (I've seen video on his official page on Facebook).

My RM composite meer basically just tasted like almost nothing, super muted, and having a slight waxy taste. After two smokes, I put some heat to it and then pulled a crapload of the wax out of the inside of the bowl and then it tasted normal.

These are my only meers and the only meers I have experience with, I'm hardly an authority on meerschaum. Just my anecdotal experience with two very different ones.
And your anecdotal information is most welcome! Thank you!!

Reactions: sardonicus87