18 Fresh Rossi Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

gord

Starting to Get Obsessed
About three months ago, I bought a meerschaum miniature for display, and began using meerschaum chips to diffuse the draft hole in pipes that had that hole placed centrally in the pipe. I had heard that meerschaum never needed to break in, that from the beginning the pipe will be perfectly broken in. I'm not so sure. I decided to smoke that miniature, and there was a slightly mineral taste, that after a few smokings disappeared, and the smoking experience became absolutely delightful. I'm hooked.

I also decided to buy a Falcon pipe to take on fishing trips, and have two briar bowls with that august little pipe. Was going to buy a couple of meerschaum bowls for the pipe, but decided not to, but rather, to obtain three or four actual meerschaum pipes instead, dedicating one pipe to each type of tobacco I smoke, as the little fellow I experimented on took on the flavor of the tobacco I was smoking.

Tell me, guys, am I on the right track, mentally ill, (uhhh . . . don't answer that question please!! :LOL: ) or should I start over from ground zero? I actually look forward to smoking that miniature every couple of days, and I want more!

Please give me your thoughts and expertise. Thanks! :col:

Also, don't suggest to buy a meerschaum lined bowl for the Falcon. I have come to loathe pre-carboned bowls intensely, having to break them in properly to eliminate that ridiculous coating. I'm figuring meerschaum lining is going to be a similar problem and would rather have dedicated pipes.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I smoke 3 different Meers most days. I don't find they smoke drastically different than briar but they do smoke quite good. I also think Meer and Briar are best if you dedicate a blend, or at least a blend type, to them. Both get better as they're smoked and build up a thin layer of cake. I highly recommend Meers, I really enjoy mine.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
About three months ago, I bought a meerschaum miniature I'm hooked.

I actually look forward to smoking that miniature every couple of days, and i want more
Could be the happy hormones from the flush of a new love.
Or just the joy of a brand new toy
Just joking 😁

I have several meers - Turkish and African, as well as a gourd calabash (with a meer bowl)
And pipes of other material - mortas, olive wood, clay, porcelain, cherry wood, ivory and, of course, briar
I can’t say that I reach for them any more often than my other pipes

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
@AJL67 : That why I smoke 'dead dudes' 100+ year old meerschaum, no break in hassles!
I'm with you, i bought 2 new meer pipes and about 40 estate pipes, one of the new meer i didn't smoke for weeks because i was dreading that taste from the first few bowls, now i let someone else suffer and i buy the pipes that come already smoked from them or their widows.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
I’ve never had any bad break-in tastes out of the more than 10 new meers I’ve owned from several different carvers. At most a light mineral taste for the first couple of bowls.

Interesting that some people find strong off flavors in their new meers.

The White Lady beacons. Why resist?

gord

Starting to Get Obsessed
I’ve never had any bad break-in tastes out of the more than 10 new meers I’ve owned from several different carvers. At most a light mineral taste for the first couple of bowls.

Interesting that some people find strong off flavors in their new meers.

The White Lady beacons. Why resist?
That's what I found, too, exactly. However, it was a little pipe for sure and a very strong very cherry tobacco that overwhelmed everything :)

Reactions: BrightDarkEyes