Question...

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

cosmicfolklore

Preferred Member
Aug 9, 2013
Helena, Alabama
You could degrease the wax off, but I wouldn't know how well it’d smoke with that stuff soaked in. You could heat it till it’s absorbed, but with heat or a degreaser, you’d run the risk of messing up the metalwork.

chasingembers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Being meerschaum, it's likely stained from the color even if you did remove the wax.

Reactions: edger

SoddenJack

Apr 19, 2020
West Texas
If you wanted it darker you could strip/sand the varnish and stain it darker, like people do with cobs. If you wanted it lighter you could possibly strip the varnish and lightly sand away the stain layer but with that blast/rustication it would be really difficult to do well.

Most likely it will end up looking like dog shit unless you really know what you’re doing. If I was serious about doing it I’d try it out with a cheap basket pipe first.

highwaycobbery

Preferred Member
Nov 14, 2015
North cacallaky
Nah, I’ll love it like it is, just curious. I bought it for its looks, it’s a beautiful pipe, but smoking it I think it would have colored fantastically. I did have to electric tape the stem as it is so loose once moisture hits it it will literally fall out of the pipe. That’s why I was thinking weeell, not my favorite meer so why not.