PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
Pat - I see that site of Mike's is new. When I visited him a couple of months ago he said he was soon unveiling a new site and that he hope to put more pipes for sale on it. Looks like a nice site.

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
Didn't Neill Archer Roan have Jack Howell make renditions of the Comoy 283 straight rhodesian a few years back? That seems like an artisan remaking a factory pipe shape. I thought it was cool.

captainbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 5, 2010
All of my pipes are commissioned from Bob Hayes (www.bobhayespipes.com) He is married to Pam, daughter of the late Craig Tarler of C&D. It is the best decision I ever made in my pipe smoking career. I own 23 of his pipes. Tell him Captain Bob sent you! He recently copied a Savenelli quarter-bent Pot I bought 40 years ago and he did a perfect job of it!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Didn't Neill Archer Roan have Jack Howell make renditions of the Comoy 283 straight rhodesian a few years back? That seems like an artisan remaking a factory pipe shape. I thought it was cool.
That is common for an artist to make factory shapes, and even more common to make factory inspired shapes.

The only point I was making earlier is that Rad may not be the guy to go too for panels. I only said that because I don't recall seeing any Rad panel pipes, but I'm sure he has made one at some point.

Now, you want a Castello shape 55, I'd say Rad is your man any day of the week.

Only one way to know if he wants to do a particular shape for you, just email or call the man and ask.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Pat - I see that site of Mike's is new. When I visited him a couple of months ago he said he was soon unveiling a new site and that he hope to put more pipes for sale on it. Looks like a nice site.
Agreed, Peck, the re-worked site is MILES above its predecessor. The gallery/archive of pipes by shape is a really cool feature.
-- Pat

easygoer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2013
Even if the briar used by a carver is top of the line I imagine it happens a lot that they get half way through completing a commission and find a flaw in the wood (pit). Has anyone come across this where they have to change from a smooth pipe commission to a blasted one or possibly do you have to pay extra for the carver to try again.

Dec 24, 2012
easy - Most I have worked with would just blast that pipe, sell it to someone else, and then try again to make your pipe. I recall one carver telling me that when he makes a smooth commission, he may have to try 3 or 4 times before he gets there, because of flaws etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.