PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottn

Lurker
Nov 1, 2012
What part of the tobacco should be lit? Center, sides?
As I am lighting my pipe for the (first of many) final light i move the match around the bowl while I draw. now is the point that the entire surface of the toby is to be lit or the center?
I guess my question is which part of the bowl is the goal to light?

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
Ideally, the entire surface. Move your match around during the char light, tamp and repeat.
The key word here is MATCH; if you must use a lighter, make it a Zippo or the least suitable option, a soft flame butane. Completely avoid a torch of any kind.
Agreed...hehe, alot of help I am. Welcome to the forum scottn and enjoy the smokes.

scottn

Lurker
Nov 1, 2012
yeah I use a match, Last night I took a walk and tried to light up. Wind is a bitch for matches. But I packed using the Frank Method and I wonder if I had the edge too tight. Only the center would burn and would not burn well, I actually gave up and went inside after 30 min.

austinxpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 25, 2012
What I like to does hold the match a little higher up and rotate a little but, puffing just enough to heat the tobacco until ignition, I've found it keeps the ember more even. If you're inhaling so much you see the flame torch your tobacco, you've overdone it. This method seems to work for me and has kept a nice even cool burning coal going for me.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
"What part of the tobacco should be lit?"
Always try to light the bottom of the bowl first.
I think someone's having fun with us.

Status
Not open for further replies.