PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
You describing a combination of a V shaped bowl and smoking faster than it can tolerate. I switched to U shaped bowls and a slower cadence.

Reactions: Marie

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I have been enjoying lots of pipe-smoking themed youtube videos (Hobbiton Piper I like...very easy approach without looking down one's nose at the audience or individual), and observed the tamping you describe. I thought the word only referred to the action of the tamper tool...so I am grateful for the clarity you provided. 🙃
I have used my finger for the same thing for years. It's the act not the tool that tamping describes. I never got the snobbery you can run across with a hobby like this. Like we're putting leaf in a hunk of wood setting on fire for fun and pleasure. Plus it's more fun knowing you actually helped another person enjoy the pipe more.

Marie

Might Stick Around
Jun 15, 2024
Los Angeles
I have used my finger for the same thing for years. It's the act not the tool that tamping describes. I never got the snobbery you can run across with a hobby like this. Like we're putting leaf in a hunk of wood setting on fire for fun and pleasure. Plus it's more fun knowing you actually helped another person enjoy the pipe more.
Yes! Your reply needed two different response emojis...here is the other one:
:ROFLMAO:...and 😏, ok three response emojis.

Reactions: anotherbob

dingdong

Can't Leave
Apr 2, 2024
Jakarta, Indonesia
Chimney/stack is a tall bowl / deep, hence it burns longer, heats up more. and it takes longer flame to relight..so unless you have slow cadence, relighting will always heats up the bowl and the tobacco near bottom.
puffy puffy puffy maybe try different type of bowl, a square or near square (bore x stroke) say 20mm dia x 35mm depth or less

Marie

Might Stick Around
Jun 15, 2024
Los Angeles
Chimney/stack is a tall bowl / deep, hence it burns longer, heats up more. and it takes longer flame to relight..so unless you have slow cadence, relighting will always heats up the bowl and the tobacco near bottom.
puffy puffy puffy maybe try different type of bowl, a square or near square (bore x stroke) say 20mm dia x 35mm depth or less
Thanks for your reply. From all of the guidance today, I will be making some experimental adjustments. This is a really great pipe community. So much more informational depth than just watching videos to troubleshoot. 🙃

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Take a pipefull or two of your aromatic and put it on a tray for tomorrow. Then it will be dry enough. PG is poured all over that stuff and can lead to bitter smokes and its hard to burn. Im in the EU and tobacco is more expensive. I use meer chips or make my own chips with a hammer and my wifes broken red clay flower pots. That reduces bottom of the pipe waste. Still for me the best part of a smoke is the first half. I typically smoke all of it but the memorable part is earlier. It doesnt have to taste nasty but you wont have the fresh sweetness no matter what in most blends. It gets stoved by heat (even if you take it easy) and it has been acting as a filter for the early part of the pipe. Smoe blends its better than others. The cooler you smoke the less bad taste you will have.

BTW: If you really enjoy aros try a pipe with a 9mm filter sometime. They really shine with a charcol filter. A lot of German smokers enjoy aros and that is one reason 9mm pipes are popular there. Personally, I like a filtered pipe for most blends but that is a whole other issue.

Last edited:

Marie

Might Stick Around
Jun 15, 2024
Los Angeles
Take a pipefull or two of your aromatic and put it on a tray for tomorrow. Then it will be dry enough. PG is poured all over that stuff and can lead to bitter smokes and its hard to burn. Im in the EU and tobacco is more expensive. I use meer chips or make my own chips with a hammer and my wifes broken red clay flower pots. That reduces bottom of the pipe waste. Still for me the best part of a smoke is the first half. I typically smoke all of it but the memorable part is earlier. It doesnt have to taste nasty but you wont have the fresh sweetness no matter what in most blends. It gets stoved by heat (even if you take it easy) and it has been acting as a filter for the early part of the pipe. Smoe blends its better than others. The cooler you smoke the less bad taste you will have.

BTW: If you really enjoy aros try a pipe with a 9mm filter sometime. They really shine with a charcol filter. A lot of German smokers enjoy aros and that is one reason 9mm pipes are popular there. Personally, I like a filtered pipe for most blends but that is a whole other issue.
Thanks Sigmund for your reply. I am enjoying my first cup of robust tea this morning and peeling my eyes open in anticipation of a hot Summer day here. We are just at that sweet spot in the morning prior to looking for an air conditioner to hug!

Your words resonate with me. I do have a sincere interest in the mechanics of why something does or does not work, and am also open to the intuitive journey as well. I suspect somewhere much further down the many bends in the road, I will have found a handful of aros and non-aros to enjoy across a myriad of activities and needs. The excitement is that it may take me a lifetime of discovery!

Reactions: Bbailey324
Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
Actually they're perfect for wetter tobacco. You can pack them extremely lightly to allow more oxygen into the chamber to burn off moisture while still retaining enough tobacco for a long smoke.
Respectfully, I disagree. You can pack any bowl lightly. All that moisture that you are burning off is filtering through all the tobacco below it, including the PG. Let me be clear in the fact that I am referring to aromatic tobacco. I completely agree for a Virginia.

Also, you are 100% correct if the goal is a long smoke, which actually may be the intent of the OP and I am reading it wrong. Obviously the longer and larger the bowl gives it more capacity and therefore a longer smoke in general, but I don’t think this is what the OP was referring to.

I find it hard to dry out a PG infused aromatic, and if I do succeed it has lost much of its flavor. PG is added specifically to keep the tobacco moist and as a preservative.

Am I wrong? Educate me.

BingBong

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2024
London UK
I've not had a lot of luck with chimney bowls... well, the one anyway, that I own. Last 1/3, even with something like Ennerdale, is essential smoking for fully developed flavour. My chimney awaits the right sort of tobacco and I've not found it yet.. maybe folded stuffed flake?

Marie

Might Stick Around
Jun 15, 2024
Los Angeles
I've not had a lot of luck with chimney bowls... well, the one anyway, that I own. Last 1/3, even with something like Ennerdale, is essential smoking for fully developed flavour. My chimney awaits the right sort of tobacco and I've not found it yet.. maybe folded stuffed flake?
I do have a 9mm Peterson I am going to try with this aro while charting out the next few experimental steps. If you discover an intriguing tobacco for your chimney, I would be interested in reading about your experiences with it. :sher:

Reactions: BingBong

Marie

Might Stick Around
Jun 15, 2024
Los Angeles
Just wanted to follow up with a general (and humble) thank you to everyone on this thread.puffy Today I switched to a different pipe with a rhodesian bowl for the same aro. What a difference! Nice little whisps of aromatic, hardly any tongue bite. My first bowl where I don't walk away feeling like a shark was chewing on my tongue for 24hrs. I stopped smoking when I got down to the last 3rd of the bowl and could tell the taste was starting to become harsh. Overall a much more civilized pipe conversation today with this particular blend. 🙂✨

Marie

Might Stick Around
Jun 15, 2024
Los Angeles
Well, I suspect that's not actually you in your avatar, either. And it may shock you to learn that's not me in mine, either.
It is not me, just as I am relieved that is not you either? 😏 I enjoy looking through the poetic lens, and this was a fun image of a talented actress from a favorite television series. I guess I am the occasional rare woman that makes their way through this forum from time to time? Honestly I thought there would be more women on this forum. Doesn't bother me that it is not so at this time.

Reactions: ItsKarl

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
It is not me, just as I am relieved that is not you either? 😏 I enjoy looking through the poetic lens, and this was a fun image of a talented actress from a favorite television series. I guess I am the occasional rare woman that makes their way through this forum from time to time? Honestly I thought there would be more women on this forum. Doesn't bother me that it is not so at this time.
I think there might be some members who just don't advertise their gender, maybe more women than it appears...but for sure, a minority. I guess our entire hobby is a minority in the grand scheme of things...

ItsKarl

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 3, 2024
Norway
I thought there'd be more women on this forum, too. I guess the pipe still has the image of an old boys' club, being more charming than sexy. Something we associate more with oilskins and tweed rather than t-shirts and jeans. When women adopt men's fashion, it's usually from younger men's fashion. Damned shame, because a woman's femininity can really be accentuated by the contrast. A young woman can often pull off the pipe look a lot better than a young man. On him, the pipe may look like an attempt to appear more mature than he is. On her, it makes her look interesting. That's my take, at any rate. Happily for me, I have the years and the facial hair to pull off the look, and without looking the least bit pretentious.

Marie

Might Stick Around
Jun 15, 2024
Los Angeles
I think there might be some members who just don't advertise their gender, maybe more women than it appears...but for sure, a minority. I guess our entire hobby is a minority in the grand scheme of things...
A travesty..I am still hoping for a renaissance as civilization continues to churn.