PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Could somebody kindly tell me the difference with so called flame grain finished pipes versus to the regular mix grain pipes, today it seems that these flame grains cost almost twice as much to regular ones, are they of more aged briar or what might explain this difference in retail prices? Thank You for the added information and greets, Paul

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I was under the impression that wood only came in straight and flame grains, and either could be used in crosscuts. I've never seen a flame grain garner much more money, it's usually the straight grains that bring in premium compensation. Here's a guide for different briar grains and their uses.
http://www.talkingtobacco.com/2013/03/a-grain-of-truth/

jeffro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2017
Thanks for that link I have been wondering about the different grain types also. :)

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Where straight grain ends, where it is cut at and angle, you see flame. Cut perpendicular, it's birdseye of course.
This one is the best example I have on hand....
M1JILBP.jpg

I would have said that the pipe in the linked example was just not a very nicely grained straight grain.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
A pipe like this has looser and more wandering grain, generating more flame:
QNB7JW8.jpg

As opposed to a pipe where all you see is stripes:
uRmSCkc.jpg

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Blocks that yield flame or straight grain without pits are what, 5-10% of those available and command premium prices.

spigot

Lurker
Apr 29, 2018
Try this:
http://le-tasse-braises.1fr1.net/t1742-le-grain-de-la-bruyere-petit-cours-en-accelere
(Note: it's in french, but there's nice pictures.)

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Mr Sasquatch and Spigots, Thank you both for your input,Sasquatch,those pipes look like stunning specimens to this genre.and Spigots thank you for finding this artice, I'm pretty much Ok with French,in my teens I have been taught it at school, Best Greets, Paul

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
The prices for straight and flame grain have increased markedly in the last 5-10 years. For that matter a smooth with "wild" grain commands a respectable price. I see flame grain priced at a premium.

hazemofegypt

Lurker
May 9, 2018
I think what We really should ask is(I am sure its has been asked before) does the alignment of specific grain for example(straight grains) effect the smoking experience?

I mean grain is all about structure anyway,

so no doubt it does effect how temperature and humidity go through and out of the wood,
As for me I am sure it does have some effect,

but How far it might effect the smoking experience?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think dramatic grain has trended in and out as a primary quality for pipe pricing. With the variety of finishes now in trend, it seems that grain is a little more secondary, though really striking grain will always demand its price. In some of the restoration photos, I'm intrigued that great grain is sometimes finished over with something else! People who fix up old houses are always uncovering fabulous, sometimes exotic, woods under coats of paint, and stain glass windows behind plywood. I guess people like what they like, and ignore something else, whatever it is.

spigot

Lurker
Apr 29, 2018
In my humble opinion of old timer, the beauty or the geometry of the grain have absolutely no effect on smoking experience, except, indeed, for the aesthetic part of it, which is not insignificant.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Good Read,Yep based on my own experience, I do agree the flame grain has no significant effect on smoking experience,but indeed as saltedplug told us,the price for these Flame Grains increased in the past few years,for instance,let us take a look at the Danishpipeshop offerings there you got standard Stanwells alongside with Flame grains and as a rule the latter ones go double the price.To me its saddening fact to notice.

johnnyiii

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2013
hertford nc
My preferred grain is straight or flame over birds eye for the most part. Probably the carpenter in me. If you look close at a good birds eye you can see faces ... or should I lay off the alcohol.
As far as smoking I think stem material has more effect then the cut of wood. I have two Savinelli Lovett's with acrylic stems. One Flame, one birds eye. Both smoke the exact same. a sav billiard of mine with a vulcanite stem not as well. The latter is based on aromatic BCA based smokes. All three pipes are in the 100 +- range.
Ive recently also noticed I seem to like my English blends better in a vulcanite stem versus acrylic.

Status
Not open for further replies.