PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
I recently purchased a Peterson Rosslare Royal Irish (see my recent post in this same forum), and it got me researching the date of the silver hallmark. According to available references online, the capital “C” hallmark should mean that the band was assayed in 1988, unless I’m missing something completely. Does anyone know when this line was manufactured, and if they are still being produced? I find it hard to believe that this pipe was made in 1988 and just sat in a box for over 30 years. Seems more likely that the band was assayed and sat unused until it was put on the pipe of more recent manufacture. Anybody know if this happens a lot with their bands, or if this pipe in fact could have been made in ‘88? Appreciate any help on this one!

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
I emailed Peterson, If they provide any clarity on this line of pipes I’ll be sure to update here in case it could be of use to anyone.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
It's been said that Peterson sometimes put bands of an earlier year, I don't think they were too far off the actual year So, its a pretty safe bet your pipe was made in the late 80's. Plenty of unsmoked pipes from every era and decade shop up on Ebay, every week, so that's not that extraordinary.
I don't know when the Rosslare finish was first introduced. Mark Irwin's authorized Peterson history book is due out in the late Spring. I expect he'll answer many Peterson questions like. You can contact him thru his Peterson blog and I've always found him to be helpful in answering Peterson mysteries.

swilford

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2010
Longs, SC
corporate.laudisi.com
I'll let the folks in Dublin chime in too, but if I were to speculate, my guess is that it's of more recent manufacture than 1988. I'm not sure if I have these dates exactly right, but roughly:
Rosslare: 2004 onwards.

Rosslare Royal Irish: 2008 onwards.
Bands are used outside of their assay year, but not by two decades. It's not impossible, but it'd definitely be weird. My guess is that the hallmark is tough to read and it's actually 2013. 1988 and 2013 look almost identical and the hallmarks are small and often not imprinted perfectly legibly.
Sykes

swilford

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2010
Longs, SC
corporate.laudisi.com
Oh, I should add, that I would be hard pressed to tell 1988 from 2013 without them side by side, assuming both are nice and crisp. We differentiate from other context (like what years the series was made; stem materials etc etc).
Sykes

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
You need to get one like this. I guess this was a pipe for Smokers Forum in 2009 that I bought as an estate pipe. I agree with Sykes though, as I don't remember these pipes being around much earlier. But then I've been known to be wrong before.
img_06891-600x378.jpg

img_06921-600x424.jpg

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
swilford is the winner! I should’ve been more thorough, I was actually looking at incomplete hallmark charts that stopped around 2006. When I found a full one that showed up to current times, I realized I was indeed looking at the wrong “C” hallmark. 2013 is definitely the correct one, not 1988. Thanks for all the help, you guys! Feels good to get a pretty close date on the pipe and put this mystery to bed. I think all of my future Peterson’s will have to be sterling bands/mounts, these hallmarks are quite interesting to research.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
And Orley that’s a damn fine looking pipe. If I ever see a great deal on another Rosslare Royal Irish I would definitely pick up the right curved billiard as a sibling for mine!

Status
Not open for further replies.