PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kennyjo

Might Stick Around
Feb 20, 2012
I have asked about vinegar before...

the best reply I remember is: taste left on the stem will be very strong, save that for salad.
I have heard toothpaste is good for removing oxidation. But I have never tried that.

For some touch up cleaning/maintenance for stem, I have heard using the ChapStick lip balm (never tried this either).
If you are looking for something that work well with only a cloth (Paragon Wax is good), try the following.

They are either have very good reputation or I have tried it and had a not bad result.

Stem Restore Kit

Carnauba Wax For Guitar (I tried this)

Lemon Oil (I apply this after the Guitar Wax)
But now I have a Dremel tool and I have stopped using them....

If you are interested in Dremel tool, you can pm me. I will tell you both the good and bad about that (both my experience and what I have heard from other).

wagnon85

Might Stick Around
Apr 25, 2010
anyone ever use a vinegar solution to clean a pipe?
When I was perusing the Internet looking for cleaning advice I saw someone discussing resurrecting an estate pipe...he followed the usual procedure of reaming the cake and doing the salt and alcohol treatment (I think he did the S&A a few times). Everything seemed hunky dory and he smoked it...which went well...but the next day the pipe again had a nasty stink about it. He repeated the S&A with the same results as above.
So he was asking people for advice (I think this was on pipes.org's forums). The theory was that mold had worked its way into the wood (or maybe even the ghosting from the previous owner was so embedded) that the initial cleaning would push it away, but the heating and moisture from a smoke brought it back out.
So two bits of info came out: coat the inside of the bowl with alcohol and light it on fire, letting it burn a few seconds before blowing out, while someone else suggested letting white vinegar soak in the bowl for a few days, changing as necessary...the letting it dry for a few days, and then do a quick alcohol cleaning just to make sure.
He tried both methods, and the pipe didn't stink anymore even after a few smokes...of course since he tried both, we don't know for sure which did it! But the guy offering the advice about the vinegar apparently had a lot of estate pipe experience.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
photo1-1.jpg

I did a little cleaning on this old jewel over the weekend with Murphy's oil soap. It really brought out the grain on it I think. Still more to be done but wanted ho share my progress.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Go diluted on the Murphys, it will remove stain if left on too long or at full strength.
So, some of the gunk that came if was likely stain... 8O Well, at least I now for the future!
I think I am about finished "fiddling" with this one. It is actually becoming one of my favs to smoke! Here is a photo of what I figure to be the end result on her
photo1-2.jpg

If you want to see the progress and a few more end shots I made this album. I have to say, for a $4 flea market find I'm rally happy with it. I don't recall if I mentioned but it is an Old England (a second from Sasieni), London Made, 776.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Gmwolford:
That's one lovely pipe, friend, and you've done a great job bringing it back to life. I've got an Old England in my rotation and yours will be a favorite for years to come.
I smoke estates almost exclusively. I enjoy the hunt. I enjoy the discovery. And, while no expert, I enjoy their resurrection. It's fun to take something completely roached out and restore it's dignity and purpose.
I've screwed the pooch more than few times having made some terrible, regrettable mistakes and the remains of one of my late grandfather's pipes will always stay on my workbench as a reminder to slow the hell down and ask questions.
You're a better man than me.
Fnord

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Fnord, I am beginning to think that I'll be an estate mostly (only?) smoker, too. I like the idea of bringing old things back to useful life, too. There's a real joy in getting to work with my hands and see the beauty come through. I'm sure I'll make my share of mistakes but I reckon that is all part of learning. I am, however, going to make my best attempt to not learn on anything too nice. And I have no personal heirlooms like you grandfather's pipe to foul up. Maybe some of my restores will become future heirlooms for my family though …

Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.