PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rickpal14

Lifer
Jun 9, 2011
Our mods are usually pretty good at stating why a thread is closed. If I would have to guess I could sum up the reason in one word.... "political". As in no politically oriented threads allowed. It seems as as if it was headed that way.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
They would appreciate a PM asking.
+1 Dervis, while they do their best to give an explanation, none is required. Best route would be to PM one of the mods instead of starting another public spectacle.

jkenp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
NW Indiana
@Rick There was a flip remark about being a liberal but that was pretty well sidetracked.
@BRD Nothing like the light of day, is there? Helps keep us all honest.
I thought it was an interesting thread. I won't say we are all genius material but it was an honest exchange about an ongoing situation that plagues smokers. I have seen warning in threads drifting toward a political point of view -- at least to some minds. I think I saw a warning at such a point. That wasn't part of this happening.
It appears activism isn't limited to politics. I was entering the following while the thread was being shut. I think the final remark could carry over in other areas. Courtesy and respect are a two way street.
I smoked a pipe in public in a lot of situations over the years. Way back there was never a problem. As the thread point out it is one these days.
I don't think the problem directly relates to any Surgeon General's warnings. I think it is the demise of mutual respect and common courtesy.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
There is a rule that no political discussions are allowed, the thread you are referring to turned into a political discussion hence the closing of it. Kevin has stated that if you have a question as to why a thread has been closed, that you should take it to pm and ask a mod.

jkenp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
NW Indiana
Harris, as I mentioned, there was a flip remark about liberals that didn't go much farther. The bulk of the discussion stayed with the topic. It was a reasonable, if not reasoned, discussion of what to do when confronted by an activist -- an apolitical one, I'll add for clarification.
While we can argue the point, technically liberal is philosophical more than political. I consider myself liberal in many areas. And, I don't consider myself a fervent affiliate of either party.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
I don't need to say much new that hasn't already been said, so I will reiterate -
Dervis & Brdavidson said:

They would appreciate a PM asking.

+1 Dervis, while they do their best to give an explanation, none is required. Best route would be to PM one of the mods instead of starting another public spectacle.
(Emphasis added.)
cigrmaster said:
There is a rule that no political discussions are allowed, the thread you are referring to turned into a political discussion hence the closing of it. Kevin has stated that if you have a question as to why a thread has been closed, that you should take it to pm and ask a mod.
I suggest that the discussions here do not need to be about how the site should be run. That is not the purpose of the forums.
This discussion has run its' course. Therefore, I am closing the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.