PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Deano

Can't Leave
Dec 28, 2022
Iowa
Hello folks. Now that PA is blended overseas is there a difference from the U.S. stuff? I still have a jar or three of the U.S. blend but when its time to buy should l stick with the PA blend or maybe go with Duke Albert or another match blend? Thanks.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I don't know about prince Albert, but I do know that Carter hall is a tad different now. I have tubs of the American and from the DomRep. I honestly don't really care for the new stuff. I'll still smoke it, but it seems to have more pg in it or something. Burns a little hotter.

Reactions: Deano

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
PA was always a little heavy on the cocoa flavoring for me, upstaging the burley, but many love it that way. I think those PC matches in the Home and Hearth series are good. I haven't tried the PA match, but the Chestnut and Chatham Manor are good, with apparently little PG as a plus.

Reactions: vosBghos and Deano

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
Haven't tried Dominican Prince Albert yet, but the new Carter Hall has definitely changed. The cut in my tub that I just opened recently is different (more ribbony) and it seems to taste more cigarette-ish and burn a bit hotter. I was pretty disappointed. I wish Middleton would move production back to the US, but that isn't likely to happen. All good things must come to an end, I suppose.

Deano

Can't Leave
Dec 28, 2022
Iowa
I picked up some Duke Albert. Needs drying time as its pretty wet. However, l am pretty pleased with it. Not PA but close and smokes a bit smoother l think.

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
Haven't tried Dominican Prince Albert yet, but the new Carter Hall has definitely changed. The cut in my tub that I just opened recently is different (more ribbony) and it seems to taste more cigarette-ish and burn a bit hotter. I was pretty disappointed. I wish Middleton would move production back to the US, but that isn't likely to happen. All good things must come to an end, I suppose.
I should note that I bought this tub back in 2020, right after production was moved to D.R. They may have ironed out some of the issues with production by now, for all I know.