PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Just an aside, but from an author's point of view, "publishing" online is ambiguous in terms of copyrights. Print rights are more defined. Online rights exist but aren't settled, or so it seems to me, a non-lawyer.

Reactions: warren

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
FWIW:

Copyrighting a work, that is, registering it with the Copyright Office, is not expensive, but it is a bit cumbersome. You can do the whole thing online. Now, most people realize that the creator of a copyrightable work is automatically protected under US law. The creator can assign that copyright to others by contract, such as agreeing to produce work on a "work for hire" basis, thereby forfeiting their copyright ownership, but for all intents, copyright protection is automatic and requires no action on the part of the work creator.

Registering copyright, however, entitles the copyright holder to recover statutory damages, should the copyright be infringed upon. You would not be entitled to collect damages if your copyrighted was infringed upon and you did not register the work. Statuatory damages can be quite significant, especially if your work has an established value.

More here.

Reactions: TheIronMonkey

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
If my name was George Dibos and I was the worlds foremost authority on many brands of pipes and also is the worlds expert on rehabbing pipes. I would charge that group money for every article you write. It is advertising for them. Free publicity. I would ask 1000.00 oer article written and then let them grind you on the price.

You are George freaking Dibos, they need to pay you for making any of their products relevant If you want me to be your manager, it would be my pleasure and I wouldn't even charge you anything except maybe fixing a corn cob for me. lol

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Being an Old Guy, I obviously made the assumption that simple questions had simple answers (it's the way things worked before all them swarms of digitals started crawling into everything), and figured asking the Top Guy would be the simplest way to git 'er done. Less confusion, and all that.

rotf

Oh well.

My apologies for having bumped a bee's nest. bzzzz bzzzz

PS --- Harris, you are equal parts awesome and terrifying

PPS --- People go to NYC for vacation?! In November???!!!

• Haha
Reactions: Toast and craig61a

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Sorry guys. I'm on vacation in NYC.

Tobacco Media Group (TMG) in Raleigh, NC owns the rights to Pipes & Tobaccos Magazine, even though they are not currently publishing new issues. Maybe they will in the future. I have no idea if they will. They seem to give higher priority to B2B publishing.

They also own TobaccoReviews.com, amongst other assets.

To address another issue raised in this thread, Section 230 is a section of Title 47 of the United States Code enacted as part of the United States Communications Decency Act, that generally provides immunity for website platforms with respect to third-party content.

There are ongoing efforts to change the law to negate those protections, primarily because of "bad content" that gets posted to social media platforms, mostly Facebook.
Hopefully you’ll see The Nutcracker while you’re there.