PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
One of my "alert" terms for Briar Bid is "Dunhill." (My hunt for a birth year Dunhill continues.)
But why would I get THIS notice . . .

Keyword Watch - Keyword: dunhill

A new auction which matches one of your keywords from your keywords watch list has been placed.
Auction Title: Hardcastle Old Bruyere
[ Click here ] to view the auction details page.
Best regards,

The Briar Bid staff
. . . for THIS AUCTION, which involves a Hardcastle pipe and never mentions the word "dunhill"?
This actually has happened several times before with certain of my keywords (dunhill and peterson most memorably).
Can sellers simply program in any keywords they want, irrespective of whether the keywords really relate to the item?
I can see why they'd want to -- I looked at this item and would not have done so otherwise -- but that seems to me to be outside the spirit of the site, if not the letter. Doubtless this is only a small inconvenience to me, costing me just a few minutes of time. Yet it seems a sort of "search engine optimization" shenanigans -- unless of course I am completely missing something, which I allow is certainly possible.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I am the Hardcastle poster and I did mention in the text that Dunhill bought Hardcastle in the 1930s. After thinking about it, I went back (only about 10 mins later) and edited the description and removed that line.
So the system must be set to look for the Dunhill name anywhere in the name or description.
However, I will say that I wasn't trying to trick anyone into seeing my pipe by mentioning Dunhill. I merely wanted to point out that this pipe was likely made prior to the Dunhill buy out.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Got it, numbersix. That makes perfect sense. Thanks!
No harm, no foul. (And it is a GREAT looking bulldog.)

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
I believe that I am the happy buyer that just purchased that Hardcastle Old Bruyere on Briar Bid.
It will be dedicated to my English / Balkan blends.
Thank you numbersix!
~ zekest crowe

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Hey congrats zekest! I will pack up the pipe today and have it in the mail tomorrow.
This pipe btw is a superb smoker - you are going to like it I am sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.