PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I know nothing about wines that I don't read on the label. I opened a bottle of inexpensive Shiraz. I drank a couple of glasses but found the tannins too strong form my tastes and the bottle was in general harsh. I corked it and put it away. Four or 5 days later, I was hankering for a drink and gave it another shot, hoping it hadn't turned into vinegar.
To my surprise, the tannis were much subdued and the flavors mellowed to where it was enjoyable. It it common for wined to improve after they were opened? I know that some folks air their wine before serving but I thought that was several hours at the most.
Just curious.
Pax

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
If it was a young wine, i.e. of recent vintage that would not be unusual. If one glass had been drunk, the wine has an increased amount of oxygen in the bottle to interact with, or "breathe". The short answer. :wink:

filmshooter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2017
If you take the plastic bag out of the box of wine you can fit more in the fridge!

jorchamp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 21, 2016
Breathing is very important to wine. Try tasting a wine a different stages of breathing. See how it changes. No one stage is the perfect one. It is a matter of personal taste.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Another way to tame red is to use an aerator. I have one and it does a very good job if you don't want to wait 30 minutes to have a glass.
https://www.amazon.com/Soir%C3%A9e-Red-Wine-Aerator-Decanter/dp/B00AYL8VGU/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1508272021&sr=8-11&keywords=aerators+for+wine

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
ashdigger wine is more forgiving, whiskey not so much ... I enjoy a good scotch every so often, but if I get too much in me I go nuts. Maybe because I drank too much whiskey when I was in college and grad school, who knows !? :roll:. I like a good wine, actually this year I am making my own. I had some cabernet planted four years ago, and this is my first try. Where I live, bottled wine is often times counterfeit. Not always affording a EUR 10 bottle, I would much prefer my own if it turns out any good.
papipeguy I have actually seen that toy before, though, if it's a truly good wine, personally I don't mind the wait for decant. In fact, I am not sure that the aerator does as good of a job as the old school decanter. I have seen a gadget once at a wine show, some electrical thing that aerated the wine while in bottle. It was a vulgarly expensive toy, it would be neat to have but the price makes it a luxury product I guess ...

Status
Not open for further replies.