PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
This may be the dumbest thing you have ever heard, but it may make sense.
It is usually said that you can smoke a pipe after it has cool, provided that it is your pipe of the day, and it has had ample rest beforehand.
If that is true, can i put my pipe in the refrigerator? I assume there is more to just the temperature, but my friend asked me this and had no reason to tell him not to.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Don't put your pipe in the refrigerator.
I've never said that sentence before.

misternoah

Lurker
Nov 29, 2011
I'd tend to agree with Philip. I think there's a greater risk for cracking if you expose it to such extremes (or range) in temperatures.
Although... I have smoked many a pipe outside in the winter, but that's a slightly different thing.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I've put 'em in the freezer to unstick a stuck stem a few times.But those were nasty old estate pipes I'd bought,not one I had been smoking. It's not a matter of cooling the pipe down,it needs some time to dry and air out.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I've put 'em in the freezer to unstick a stuck stem a few times.
That's my one thought about pipes in the fridge.
I wouldn't put a warm pipe in one...

However; I have one pipe that I smoke outside on cold days to warm my hands.

My Ben Wade Calabash.

My2nd.jpg

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I'd Like to know just how the heck they drilled that pipe? Is the shank one piece?? Maybe they had a crooked drill bit?

withnail

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
I'd Like to know just how the heck they drilled that pipe? Is the shank one piece?? Maybe they had a crooked drill bit?
Me to! How DO they cut a curved airway? Should I post this question as a new topic? Or can someone add an answer(sorry for hijacking thread!)

smokenscotch

Nov 23, 2011
I actually wanted to ask you all something about this as well. For years I watched family members or friends Dad's smoke the same pipe all day long. There are many days I am so much enjoying the tobacco I picked out, that I want to add a little more and have another bowl while the bowl is still hot. (I only have 2 pipes so far, with hundreds in mind to purchase, LOL). What truly is so bad about this and what could the long term effects be on the pipe, when so many people smoked their same pipe all day long, with their same tobacco, all day long?

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
What truly is so bad about this and what could the long term effects be on the pipe, when so many people smoked their same pipe all day long, with their same tobacco, all day long?
And lots of these guys are the same ones that threw their pipe out after a year or so 'cause it smoked like crap. :D
A pipe gets extremely hot while being smoked. The heat causes the wood to expand. If you keep smoking it without letting it rest, this can cause problems like cracks and burnout - where a hole will burn through the pipe. Resting a pipe also helps the moisture that the briar absorbs to evaporate out. This helps prevent the tars and oils from causing the pipe to have a sour taste.

From this very site!

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I actually wanted to ask you all something about this as well. For years I watched family members or friends Dad's smoke the same pipe all day long. There are many days I am so much enjoying the tobacco I picked out, that I want to add a little more and have another bowl while the bowl is still hot. (I only have 2 pipes so far, with hundreds in mind to purchase, LOL). What truly is so bad about this and what could the long term effects be on the pipe, when so many people smoked their same pipe all day long, with their same tobacco, all day long?
This is an old debate and will probably be debated many more times. If you have just one pipe and smoke it several times a day-everyday- it will probably burn out crack,explode,or at the very least go skunky on ya!

In my experience you can smoke several(10-15) bowls per day in the same pipe without damage as long as that pipe gets cleaned thoroughly and allowed to dry out for a day or so at least. I do it everyday and have never had any problems and some of my pipes I've been smoking for 5 years or more. I usually keep about 25 in rotation.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
guess im finicky, i like the same pipe day in an day out, was a med, but 2 weeks ago bought new brig, i smoke it morn till nite and repeat the next day. when i buy a new one it goes in rack for collection and i start again.

seakayak

Sep 21, 2010
I've often smoked the same pipe several times in a single day. It doesn't take long at all for it to cool sufficiently (without refrigeration). I always run a soft, absorbent pipe cleaner through from the tip as far as down the stem as it will go before snagging and let it sit there a few minutes to suck up any residual fluids that might have built up during the first light.

assaad

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2011
If you would like to see what happens to pipes the way the old timers smoked them go to a flea market and find some estate pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.