PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikesgirl

Lurker
Dec 7, 2011
Hi everyone!
I just joined this forum, and needed some advice with regard to buying pipes. My husband wants a Peterson pipe for Christmas, and he likes the "rough" finish, or rusticated type. He also likes the bent mouthpiece...does anyone have any recommendations for the best pipe to buy him?? I have already bought him a Peterson POY 2009 sandblast which he seemed to enjoy. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Welcome to the forum and atuukson is correct as far as Peterson pipes are concerned you can scan their website and their personal service is excellent. Here's the link.
http://www.smokingpipes.com/

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
Hullo mikesgirl, do you smoke as well?
I always like to direct folks to the Pipe Locator at SmokingPipes.

There's a similar function that forum member cyndi turned us on to recently, the Pipe Finder at Alpascia.
This are great ways to get ideas based on your specific wants.
Have fun with the shopping!

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
All depends on price range really. Cup O' Joe's has a really good selection of rusticated/sandblasted Petes. If you're looking for a more affordable one the Donegal Rocky series is a good line with rustication under $100. If price isn't an object, Peterson has a number of great lines with rustic/sandblast finish that are very good pipes. Just browse the online sponsor sites at the left of the screen and you'll find the pipe.

tomdavis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 2, 2011
Houston TX
If you are looking to spend more then look at Peterson's Sherlock Holmes line. The bowls are larger and the briar is higher quality although not in a way that makes it smoke better. My wife gave me my first Peterson and it was a Sherlock Holmes' My Croft.

smokey422

Can't Leave
Nov 20, 2011
I don't presently own one but I've always liked the Donegal Rocky series and the prices are pretty reasonable. One decision you have to make with a Peterson is whether to buy a P-lip or a fishtail bit. You might ask your husband which type he prefers before you purchase the pipe. My two favorite places to buy Petes are Smoking Pipes and Pipes and Cigars. Both carry a large inventory of most all of the styles.
Smokey

vroomfondel

Might Stick Around
Dec 2, 2011
Zurich
I would look into the Donegal Rocky line if he is into rusticated finishes and you don't want to break the bank.
And if you have the option of checking out the pipe before purchase I would definitely do that. God knows I love Peterson pipes and call a few my own, but I have seen some very dodgy engineering on some of them.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Whereas Stanwells never let you down. But I have a Rocky too and it is a really great smoker.

mattmars

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2011
I have 2 Rocky Donegals, an 87 fishtail and a 68 P-lip. I love them both as they are fantastic smokers.

mikesgirl

Lurker
Dec 7, 2011
Thanks everyone for the welcome, and for all the great replies and info! I think I have decided on the Donegal Rocky series (B10), since it has a lot of good reviews by most. He prefers the fishtail over the p-lip ( I asked lol), so I think I'm set. Just ordered a bunch of tobacco tins that he likes, along with some new varieties, so hopefully he will enjoy them!
OTD, actually no I don't smoke, but I've been saying that I'm going to start since he seems to enjoy it so much! lol. I'm not sure where I would go to find the 'woman-friendly' pipes :puffy: lol.

withnail

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
Mikesgirl - We do have some ladies on the forum that enjoy their pipes and it is a great way to relax. Glad that you got the advice you were looking for and I am sure you'll see a delighted face on Christmas Day!

mikesgirl

Lurker
Dec 7, 2011
That's awesome withnail! Maybe I can get some advice from the ladies for a pipe for me as well! :)

mikesgirl

Lurker
Dec 7, 2011
Haha, thanks OTD! Well maybe I should re-phrase that to say I'm not sure what kind of pipe my husband would prefer me to smoke..lol. Don't think a churchwarden is my style :D

Status
Not open for further replies.