PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

b1gb2olo

Lurker
Jul 18, 2024
Pittsburgh
I bought a tin of Early Morning Peterson blend and when I went to open the tin it opened very easily with my hands.

The other tins ( crumble kake and cult blood red moon)
I've purchased I had to pop a seal with a knife and than open the circular tin.

Is this a sign someone tampered with it ? Doesn't seem dried out. I'm new to all this

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: kcghost

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I haven't seen this with a round tin but my sample size is not large. But I also wouldn't suspect tampering unless there were some signs. Where did you get it from?

b1gb2olo

Lurker
Jul 18, 2024
Pittsburgh
I think pipes and cigars, was the websites name. I was only concerned because I seem to get nauseated after smoking this.

Now I am new to pipe smoking but the OTC captain black blends and Cult Blood Red Moon didn't give me this feeling

Reactions: AroEnglish

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
It happens occasionally on square tins but not to worry provided it has lost all its moisture. There have been reports of some Peterson blends being very easy to open,

Reactions: b1gb2olo

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
IME tins usually require a coin or screwdriver to pry open. I wouldn't worry too much about it unless the tobacco was dried out (like crumble into dust dried out).

You may be reacting to nicotine in this blend, try smoking on a full stomach, drink water, smoke slower, try a peppermint, or do what I do take a nap.

b1gb2olo

Lurker
Jul 18, 2024
Pittsburgh
IME tins usually require a coin or screwdriver to pry open. I wouldn't worry too much about it unless the tobacco was dried out (like crumble into dust dried out).

You may be reacting to nicotine in this blend, try smoking on a full stomach, drink water, smoke slower, try a peppermint, or do what I do take a nap.
Thank you very much for the advice

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Should definitely be vacuum sealed, but if it’s still smokable I’d be ok with it.
If you aren’t happy about it, P&C would probably have you ship it back prior to replacement/refund.

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
If it were me I would look at it and smell it and if it looks like all the other times you've opened them you're GTG. Fermentation and aging results are different by tin. I've had tins bulged and not bulged with the same date. Just depends on storage conditions.

b1gb2olo

Lurker
Jul 18, 2024
Pittsburgh
If it were me I would look at it and smell it and if it looks like all the other times you've opened them you're GTG. Fermentation and aging results are different by tin. I've had tins bulged and not bulged with the same date. Just depends on storage conditions.
That's the thing this is only my third tin overall since starting. I'm not really sure what they're supposed to look like I was just weirded out by no seal.

They are actually sending me a replacement of a different type. I called them on the way home from work. I told them I just kept getting nauseated every time I tried smoking the Peterson early morning and didn't know if it's nicotine or because it was opened and something got inside

Reactions: FLDRD and Sobrbiker

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
They are actually sending me a replacement of a different type. I called them on the way home from work. I told them I just kept getting nauseated every time I tried smoking the Peterson early morning and didn't know if it's nicotine or because it was opened and something got inside
Very cool. P&C has been “hit or miss” when I’ve used their CS. My last experience will probably be the last they see of my money.
I say that, but sometimes availability/price will override my principles, when it comes to tobak😉

• Love

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
That's the thing this is only my third tin overall since starting. I'm not really sure what they're supposed to look like I was just weirded out by no seal.

I've always had "difficulty" opening the round tins and needed the assistance of a coin or knife to twist the lid enough to release pressure. Whilst I just got through diminishing the idea of mold in another thread, getting nausea, combined with being a new smoker, I would say perhaps you need to learn what mold may look like and scrutinize your sample.
EMP should be a very light and easy blend so you "shouldn't" get nausea from the nicotine, but new smoker......

Reactions: Sobrbiker

b1gb2olo

Lurker
Jul 18, 2024
Pittsburgh
I've always had "difficulty" opening the round tins and needed the assistance of a coin or knife to twist the lid enough to release pressure. Whilst I just got through diminishing the idea of mold in another thread, getting nausea, combined with being a new smoker, I would say perhaps you need to learn what mold may look like and scrutinize your sample.
EMP should be a very light and easy blend so you "shouldn't" get nausea from the nicotine, but new smoker......
So I repacked this morning with Cult Red Blood moon or what ever the name is haha. And absolutely no nausea but even a small bowl of EMP this morning like a 1/4 bowl I felt sick after

Also the EMP won't stay lit , but with the couple aromatics, including Captain Black, I have no problem keeping the pipe going

Last edited:
Reactions: FLDRD
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Perhaps it wasn't sealed properly at the factory or perhaps the tin was jarred causing it to loosen. I've seen it occasionally with circular and square tins but it has been rare. If the tobacco was still in good shape, I wouldn't worry.

Seeleybc1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 29, 2022
Palmer AK
I agree with that most here seem to think, and would add from my personal experiences, that based on the two blends you’re comparing against one another, that the early morning Petersons giving you a good nicotine wallop, though as said, it shouldn’t be too strong, relatively speaking. I’ve had similar reactions, leaning more on the side of unpleasant, and question what I’m doing smoking lol. It stinks when a blend doesn’t agree with you, but kinda part of the journey.
Another possibility could be you may not agree with Latakia? Sometimes can be an overwhelming taste for me that I suppose could be perceived as nauseating, though again, the amount should be pretty mild in the early morning pipe.
The same blend might not affect the next person the same way, and vice versa. Having said that, I started paying close attention to tobacco reviews and nicotine levels.

Reactions: midcentry

midcentry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2022
Utah
As others have mentioned, it likely lost its seal in transit or wasn't sealed properly at the factory. EMP isn't necessarily strong, but if you don't have any prior experience with nicotine, and you are comparing it with Cult BRM and Captain Black, it can certainly have an affect. Very cool of them to send you a replacement!

• Love

b1gb2olo

Lurker
Jul 18, 2024
Pittsburgh
As others have mentioned, it likely lost its seal in transit or wasn't sealed properly at the factory. EMP isn't necessarily strong, but if you don't have any prior experience with nicotine, and you are comparing it with Cult BRM and Captain Black, it can certainly have an affect. Very cool of them to send you a replacement!
Appreciate the positive feedback

Pretty happy they sent a replacement. I think it's Peterson Sherlock Holmes excited to give it a try.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
So I repacked this morning with Cult Red Blood moon or what ever the name is haha. And absolutely no nausea but even a small bowl of EMP this morning like a 1/4 bowl I felt sick after

Also the EMP won't stay lit , but with the couple aromatics, including Captain Black, I have no problem keeping the pipe going
Far better to be wimpy on the nicotine than to be "allergic" to the Latakia.
Jar it up and try it in the future.
And use any references (like tobaccoreviewsDOTcom) regarding nicotine strength as you develop your palate and tolerance.

Reactions: Sobrbiker

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I think pipes and cigars, was the websites name. I was only concerned because I seem to get nauseated after smoking this.

Now I am new to pipe smoking but the OTC captain black blends and Cult Blood Red Moon didn't give me this feeling
It could be the stronger nicotine in the EMP vs the CBs and BRM.

Reactions: Chalaw87

b1gb2olo

Lurker
Jul 18, 2024
Pittsburgh
It could be the stronger nicotine in the EMP vs the CBs and BRM.
I definitely have a low tolerance. Not a former smoker just started cigars recently for relaxation. But they are too expensive 😂 and too long of a smoke for me so it's a waste.

Choose to try pipe tobacco since it doesn't taste like shit if it goes out and cost is a lot more friendly on the wallet!

So maybe the nicotine is it. Since my tolerance is probably extremely low and I do tend to be sensitive to substances because of anxiety if that makes sense.