PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
I tend to have parfait bowls fairly frequently. I am an old codger at heart (and age) and have always liked the burley heavy codger blends as my primary enjoyment (PA, SWR regular, Grainger, and Carter Hall typically). For me, most other pipe tobaccos are enjoyed, when done so…. as a parfait where the OC is ~1/2 -3/4 of the base of the bowlful and the “fancier” blend is the upper ~1/4 - 1/2.

I guess I learned that approach from watching my Dad do the same all those many decades ago when I would watch him frequently as he would fill his pipe and light his pipe and garner such deep, yet simple pleasure from the activity. Even as just a very young kid, I could sense the contentedness he would experience. And in my own endeavors with the pipe, I modeled and still model his actions to similar levels of enjoyment to this day. 🙂

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Unless I'm blending like adding Perique to a straight VA or something with just straight tobaccos I keep my stacks in the same family. Five Brothers Burley could conceivably add body (Vitamin N) to any blend without ruining flavor as it supposedly takes on the flavors its mixed with. But I like to sandwich MacBarren HH Kentuckys between it in the bowl weather Old DFK or Bold K. The Five bros burns faster and the Kentucky slows it down in the center with a nice straight Burley finish.

Reactions: Coreios

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
I thought Burleys and Virginias were mainly what cigarettes use? I smoke cigarettes and the guy at my tobacco shop said you can roll your own cigarettes with Burley/Virgina pipe tobacco. He recommended Gambler and American Club. Everytime I've seen it when picking pipe tobacco I've assumed it was trash and avoided it, or if it had other stuff I assumed it was filler. Again though I'm new to pipes.
Depending on what kind of Cigarettes you smoke if not of the filterless variety and some times trash filterless variety there is so much filler (dust) not even considered tobacco really. And it is so chemically treated for longer shelf life and high octane nicotine delivery that it hardly resembles what would be considered tobacco back in the day and certainly not now. If I had to buy a pack of smokes easily the only ubiquitous brand I would bother with nowadays is camel straights (non filter). Roll your owns would Probably be Bali Shag at least in America and the Peter Stokkebye blends offer a nice variety of quality shag cuts and can usually be got at any decent smoke shop. As always if Galoises Brunes were available in the states whether loose or non filter I would definitely partake for a treat. But the only true pipe tobacco I would ever roll is the shag cuts by Gawith Hoggarth after letting it dry a bit and maybe Fribourg & Treyer ,basically as long as its a quality pipe tobacco and in shag form. Not to be forgotten in the RYO would be the American Spirit stuff and I guess there filtered and filterless cigs are ok (though all of it too dry and bland for me). But thats my 2 cents.

If you are coming from cigarettes Burley is a good place to start as you will be wanting nicotine and it smokes pretty cool and the learning curve it a bit more kind then say a straight Virginia. YMMV.

Enjoy the ride....

Chaukisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 31, 2021
Northern Germany
It's a great joy to work with the tobacco, finding out what works and what doesn't.
When I bought a pouch of McBaren Scottish Blend I was rather disappointed, it was weak and didn't offer much of anything. I mixed it with Clan and some raw leaf which turned it into a great smoke with lots of flavor.
Whenever I have a bowl worth of leftovers I smoke it, they're pretty damn good most of the time.

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
Depending on what kind of Cigarettes you smoke if not of the filterless variety and some times trash filterless variety there is so much filler (dust) not even considered tobacco really. And it is so chemically treated for longer shelf life and high octane nicotine delivery that it hardly resembles what would be considered tobacco back in the day and certainly not now. If I had to buy a pack of smokes easily the only ubiquitous brand I would bother with nowadays is camel straights (non filter). Roll your owns would Probably be Bali Shag at least in America and the Peter Stokkebye blends offer a nice variety of quality shag cuts and can usually be got at any decent smoke shop. As always if Galoises Brunes were available in the states whether loose or non filter I would definitely partake for a treat. But the only true pipe tobacco I would ever roll is the shag cuts by Gawith Hoggarth after letting it dry a bit and maybe Fribourg & Treyer ,basically as long as its a quality pipe tobacco and in shag form. Not to be forgotten in the RYO would be the American Spirit stuff and I guess there filtered and filterless cigs are ok (though all of it too dry and bland for me). But thats my 2 cents.

If you are coming from cigarettes Burley is a good place to start as you will be wanting nicotine and it smokes pretty cool and the learning curve it a bit more kind then say a straight Virginia. YMMV.

Enjoy the ride....
Thanks, a lot of useful information!

MyCombOver

Lurker
May 15, 2022
Pittsburgh, PA
I don’t like the way SWR gets cigarette-y at the bottom of the bowl. (Obviously could be because I’m smoking too fast.) But in order to combat it, I’ll load a first pinch of an aromatic at the bottom of the bowl. Seems to work out well.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I have been trying parfaits lately. Specifically, Lane 1-Q on top of Autumn evening; Creme Brulee on top of Autumn Evening; sometimes Lane 1-Q on top of Old Toby; sometimes I use a thin pinch of sutliffe 507-C Flake on top for a starter. I like them. The flavors don't mix but go one to another--lemon/honey/tea to vanilla/caramel to maple. You can tell when you go from one layer to the next. These are best slow sipped for maximum flavor. My favorite morning blend is Match Sunrise on top of Lane 1-Q.

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
I have been trying parfaits lately. Specifically, Lane 1-Q on top of Autumn evening; Creme Brulee on top of Autumn Evening; sometimes Lane 1-Q on top of Old Toby; sometimes I use a thin pinch of sutliffe 507-C Flake on top for a starter. I like them. The flavors don't mix but go one to another--lemon/honey/tea to vanilla/caramel to maple. You can tell when you go from one layer to the next. These are best slow sipped for maximum flavor. My favorite morning blend is Match Sunrise on top of Lane 1-Q.
I have some Autumn Evenings and Cream Brulee. I'll have to give it a go, Thanks.

Reactions: Hillcrest

Model 29

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2021
pennsylvania
you dont have to be a pro to mix blends. Fifty years ago,when there wasnt much of a tobacco variety like today, I combined SWR with Borkim Riff,and really liked it. Mixing tobaccos isnt rocket science,give it a try

Zamora

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2023
Olympia, Washington
I'm partial to blending SWR with H&H. First half of the bowl is packed with H&H and the second half is packed with SWR. Shelby Foote used both to blend with Edward G Robinson to create a better burn. I've never had Edward G Robinson but it's definitely on my list and I'd love to try it mixed that way

LudwigB88

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2023
Just added some Elizabethan Mixture on top of some remaining C&D Opening Night (which has no perique) and the resulting complexity was great. The perique in the Elizabethan really brought out the flavor of the two Virginias in ON.

hoipolloiglasgow

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2023
United States
I've done the parfait thing before, but only with an English and another English. Like, when I'm almost done with one tin and start another different one, but didn't want to mix them. There is run off on the latter part, especially right when it starts to transition. It isn't the best way to enjoy one particular tobacco, but if you've had both blends before, you'll get to enjoy both and have some intermingling.

Architeuthis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2021
I've dabbled with parfaits as well. I usually make one when I want a bit of a blend that is flavored but don't want a whole bowl of it. The flavored blend goes on top and the bottom is usually a virginia. This has worked well with the flavored top layer being St. Bruno or some of the GH blends and the bottom being Dunhill/Peterson Flake or Capstan Blue.