PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlomarx

Can't Leave
Oct 29, 2011
State College,PA
I am not familiar with English blends. I purchased Boswell's "Countryside", which they describe as their medium English blend, and I really like it.

My question is, is this blend typical of English blends? I'd like to explore the English blends but I don't know where to begin.

Thanks

sherlock

Can't Leave
Aug 21, 2011
I don't think that there is a typical English blend in that all blends have unique characteristics. This might help you witht he definition. http://pipesmagazine.com/python/pipe-tobacco/english-blends-and-latakia-blends-one-in-the-same/
I would start reading tobacco review site like http://pipesmagazine.com/python/pipe-tobacco/english-blends-and-latakia-blends-one-in-the-same/ and http://tobaccoreviews.com/ they will give you a good idea what start with. You can also talk to some one at your local B&M and finally just start trying blends if you don't like them you can often trade them for ones you like more.

tab812

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 27, 2011
Floyds Knobs, IN
Try one or all three:

G. L. Pease - Heirloom Collection: Westminster

Dunhill My Mixture 965

Samuel Gawith Squadron Leader
Any of these are good quality Tobacco.

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
Try one or all three:

G. L. Pease - Heirloom Collection: Westminster

Dunhill My Mixture 965

Samuel Gawith Squadron Leader
Any of these are good quality Tobacco.
Add McClelland's Blue Mountain to the list as well.

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
Here we go! I'm going to throw Hearth and Home Black House, Magnum Opus and Larry's Blend into the mix.
I have those added to the TAD list already. I'm really interested to try Black House and see how it compares to Blue Mountain.

Jul 12, 2011
Oh yeah, to all above! Plus add in some Peretti's Omega & Royal blends as well as some Low Country's Cooper (a smokingpipes.com blend), Penzance, C&D's Billy Budd...and if you like Boswell's blends...some Northwoods

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Some of those mentioned are fairly full blends, shading from English blends to balkans - which is generally accepted to mean the oriental or balkan tobaccos are equal to latakia, in the flavor profile. For me, in an English, the latakia is more prevalent.

Not to say these are not equally good, but many of these are much fuller than a "medium English". In that category, however, I would add Peterson's Old Dublin. Easier to get than Squadron Leader and, IMO, much better than 965. :puffy:

Jul 15, 2011
Hearth and Homes Victorian Stroll is a light English compared to some of the other blends you have mentioned. Every one of the Frog Morton Series is touted as being a good English as well. The Original Frog Morton is the only one I have tried, but it is mild but tasty, a good smoke for any time of day.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I had Frog Morton on the Bayou and it had a complex, but not overly-strong taste. I'd say 3-Oaks Syrian is pretty darn potent If your looking to get smacked around by Latakia.

Jul 15, 2011
I'd say 3-Oaks Syrian is pretty darn potent If your looking to get smacked around by Latakia.
I ordered some Star of the East that should be coming in tomorrow. 50% latakia, been looking for something that has a good dose of it lately in this cold weather. Ive also got some GL Pease tins I have yet to open that are all pretty latakia potent: Quiet Nights, Chelsea Morning, and Meridian.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Cool! you'll have to report on the taste of that Lat bomb! I like 3-Oaks enough to dedicate a pipe to it, but it's the only one my wife can't stand. She even likes the smell of Black House (Room Note, not tin aroma), but 3-Oaks gives her a headache!

Jul 15, 2011
Another good crossover blend that I have been smoking lately is C&D Black Frigate, which is a navy blend with Latakia added. Good latakia taste, pretty smoky and tangy, a little sour and earthy, with a good amount of nicotine. Another good smoke if youre into that sort of thing.

clanobucklin

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2010
Here's another one - Hearth & Home "Ambassador Blend" courtesy of pipesandcigars.com

a very full English that reminds me of some of the Dunhill mixtures back in the day.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
From my pretty die hard yet limited tobacco experience in the past couple of months, I've found that English blends are the most complex and interesting smokes.
that being said, I believe Hearth and Home Larry's Blend, Esoterica Penzance and Spartan's English (not necessarily in that order) are really good and worth giving a try.
Come to think of it, I need to give some of the other Esoterica blends a try. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.