PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Wondering if it’s OK to inquire to other forum members about buying/selling/trading tobaccos not sold in your country.

Like would it be okay for me to post something like :

Attention Forum members from Belgium/ France
In search of Gauloises Brunes say 3 packs?
Buy/ Trade something hard for you to get?
Hit me up in The DMs

I wouldn’t want to break any real laws and certainly not make trouble on the forum.
Seems strange if two law abiding respectable ( free) parties can’t make a trade over the sea?

are some tobaccos considered contraband ( besides Cuban cigars) and thus not aloud to trade or even speak about trading?

sorry for the lame post just don’t want to make any waves near the Black Frigate

Reactions: canucklehead
Wondering if it’s OK to inquire to other forum members about buying/selling/trading tobaccos not sold in your country.

Like would it be okay for me to post something like :

Attention Forum members from Belgium/ France
In search of Gauloises Brunes say 3 packs?
Buy/ Trade something hard for you to get?
Hit me up in The DMs

I wouldn’t want to break any real laws and certainly not make trouble on the forum.
Seems strange if two law abiding respectable ( free) parties can’t make a trade over the sea?

are some tobaccos considered contraband ( besides Cuban cigars) and thus not aloud to trade or even speak about trading?

sorry for the lame post just don’t want to make any waves near the Black Frigate
I suppose it never hurts to ask questions (at least it shouldn't) but I would not expect accurate answers. To me it is up to the traders/buyers/sellers to determine the legality of such things and some laws are loony these days and they seem to always be changing :(

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Isn't that what you are doing by posting this question ?
I wasn’t trying to be a sneak ,earnestly asking like are Gauloises or Caporal? Illegal? I don’t even know , like if I can’t get them from a tobacconist over seas is it wrong as free citizens of the forum to trade?
Before I actually do post such a thing…

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
You're asking for legal advice. Contact your local customs officials, a local attorney, or somebody who can give you proper answers. Here you will get perhaps some anecdotal information, some guesses and of course, some totally asinine responses. It's the nature of a forum.

Or, you can simply order the product from a dealer in Europe who might ship to the US. But, I would certainly ask someone with the legal knowledge to give you a responsible answer.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I agree with warren. This isn't something to determine with an assortment of folks online. Talk to someone in customs in your country, and also ask about customs in the other countries, and if possible, get a number and talk to them too. You might be able get this information from a retired customs agent, but I'd rely on the current officials.

Not even the officials are always up on the the legal details, and they may not know about pipes and pipe tobacco products in particular, but they should be able to get the answers.

No sense in getting in a legal tangle and charged expensive fees and fines. There are the rules, and then there are the politics, and right now is not a good time to test the patience or integrity of the systems. Even more so if you are traveling with the products in question, where you might get taken hostage in some international gambit.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I think the first rule is read the rules?

This is in there:

"- Pipesmagazine.com does not condone the circumvention of any laws, the avoiding of applicable taxation, or the sharing of methods for getting packages through Customs by deception.

- Any discussion of methods for the circumvention of taxes, Customs, or the violation of laws will be immediately deleted, and the Member will receive a warning. A second instance could result in that Member being banned from Pipesmagazine.com"

I'm not saying that applies, but it would have gotten my attention if I was thinking about trading internationally for stuff I can't get or stuff others can't get in their country (cigarettes, lol) but can get from me and using the forum to do that? Just food for thought!

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
What I have learned over the years, international trades on tobacco products between private persons in reasonable amounts,(keep it low))are not going against any laws, however, be prepared to answer queries sent by Your local Customs Authoriti
This. I have a pen pal in Germany I do trades with and he informed me quantity is everything. We keep our packages small and have never had any issuesb
Yes I would like to get the same thing going with someone in France/Belgium , but I didn’t know if this was a good place to start , don’t want no flags on my handle

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
There’s no issues with trading or buying with a forum member in a different country to you. ALL of my forum transactions have infact been like that.

Only advice:

prioritise making a friendship over getting a quick score. I only send funds or goods to people I trust.

be prepared to pay any duty tax, even if declared as a gift, unless your country’s customs has a personal gift allowance.

if you are not willing to throw or give the money away, declare the item at its full value and be prepared to have a lengthy battle with your post office for compensation if the box is lost.

Yes I would like to get the same thing going with someone in France/Belgium , but I didn’t know if this was a good place to start , don’t want no flags on my handle
I think this would be fun but I gotta be honest...I can access WAAAAY more tobacco in the states than I can ever smoke. Tons of tins, tons of custom blends from world class blenders (WCC, Boswells, TCS, and soon Wilke). I am sure there are some lovely blends that are not shipped here but we have it soooooo much better than other places. I honestly don't worry about it - just my two pennies

Nicolasylvain

Might Stick Around
Jun 18, 2022
France

Its forbidden to buy tobacco online in France and I extrapolate that tobacco is not allowed anywhere in the postal service

Wait for a friend/family to go on holiday to the EU and they can bring some back within the law

• Love
Reactions: Ahi Ka and vosBghos

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Its forbidden to buy tobacco online in France and I extrapolate that tobacco is not allowed anywhere in the postal service

Wait for a friend/family to go on holiday to the EU and they can bring some back within the law
Thanks, I was wondering what the deal was with Gauloises and Caporal. I’ve never seen such a common thing so hard to get …

Reactions: Nicolasylvain

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I was wondering what the deal was with Gauloises and Caporal. I’ve never seen such a common thing so hard to get …

I used to smoke RYO Gauloises in the pouch about 25 years ago. It used to be readily available OTC in the US (at least in MD, at the time).

A coworker a few years ago was off to Paris for a vacation and I gave her some cash and asked her to find me some "French" pipe tobacco to try. She gave me some Caporal. It was about the most unremarkable pipe smoking experience I ever had. Almost any RYO in the US posing as a pipe tobacco would provide a more enjoyable experience, IMO.

Here you will get perhaps some anecdotal information, some guesses and of course, some totally asinine responses.

@admin I believe Warren has provided you a new banner/header proclamation for the forum page.

nnnn WINNER! WINNER! CHICKEN DINNER!! nnnn

1660017696034.png

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
I used to smoke RYO Gauloises in the pouch about 25 years ago. It used to be readily available OTC in the US (at least in MD, at the time).

A coworker a few years ago was off to Paris for a vacation and I gave her some cash and asked her to find me some "French" pipe tobacco to try. She gave me some Caporal. It was about the most unremarkable pipe smoking experience I ever had. Almost any RYO in the US posing as a pipe tobacco would provide a more enjoyable experience, IMO.

@admin I believe Warren has provided you a new banner/header proclamation for the forum page.

nnnn WINNER! WINNER! CHICKEN DINNER!! nnnn

View attachment 161877
Thanks , good to know.
I was hoping it would be close to Gauloises for pipe.
I‘ve heard that because of new laws there is a nicotine level limit so even the latest Gauloises I’m sure has changed. The last time I was in France was 2008 and there was new packaging then and with filters and such Red Packs And Blue Packs. No filterless or RYO. I heard that there was a pipe version and I really wanted to try it. The only thing I’ve found that comes close so far is Gawith Hoggarth & Co Kendal Dark.
I have heard the D&R picayune (discontinued) is similar, but haven’t tried it yet.
Do you know of anything similar to the ol RYO Gauloises?

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
One site I found indicated that is it no longer available in the US and was made of Virginia, burley and Kentucky.

The older manufactured cigarettes, way before my day, indicated Turkish and Syrian content, but nothing more specific.

1660064999690.png

Reactions: vosBghos

brooklynpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2018
I already called the cops. They tell me they’re on the way to your house. New York’s finest, Peter Pan bus.

Last edited: