New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Jan 27, 2020
I know that this forum is full of pipe smoking dexterous hunks so I thought so I thought it would be good to ask you beefguys for recommendations on a quality inexpensive hatchet. Summer is coming and I'm dying to do some hewing.

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
Gransfors bruk has been on my list for years now. Don't know why I haven't pulled the trigger yet. I camp multiple times a year.
I have a Gransfors bruk, it's a great hatchet though I wouldn't put it in the inexpensive category. For the OP if you aren't liking the offerings at big box stores you might find something at an online logging or arborist supply (e.g., Baileys, Wes Spur, or Treestuff) store.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
I have a Husqvarna hand forged hatchet that competes with a Gransfors at 1/3 the price. I also really like the Fiskars ones, and have had one for almost 20 years that you can still put a “shave your arm hair” edge on easily, even after splitting many cords of kindling and living outside in the woodshed.

Jan 27, 2020
What kind of hewing you doin’?
I have a couple of cheap Harbor Freight drawknifes that I just used to make replacement handles for my wheelbarrow. Probably wouldn’t work well for kindling, but if you’re getting fancy…

I mostly want to hew or try to hew fallen trees into rectangular shapes to use as crude barriers etc in the garden. Will a single bevel axe be the best option? I saw one made in Austria for $150 but would like to pay closer to $100 if possible.

Thanks for all the recc., I will look into them.

Let me add that while I like nice objects I have no vanity when it comes to this. I just want something functional that holds its edge.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
I mostly want to hew or try to hew fallen trees into rectangular shapes to use as crude barriers etc in the garden. Will a single bevel axe be the best option? I saw one made in Austria for $150 but would like to pay closer to $100 if possible.

Thanks for all the recc., I will look into them.

Let me add that while I like nice objects I have no vanity when it comes to this. I just want something functional that holds its edge.
That's a demanding leisure activity! That being the case, I'd go for something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Husqvarna-Wo...sqvarna+carpenter+axe,instant-video,83&sr=1-1

Reactions: puff_not_snuff
Jan 27, 2020

Ha indeed. I don't expect to master it but worse ways to send one's time.

I will seriously consider that one, it's the sort of price I can live with if I don't pick it up as much as I intend.

Jan 27, 2020
I know their are a few people who do blacksmithing here. Is the whole "hand forged" thing often just marketing talk for big companies to make people think they are getting a hand made or hand finished product?

Jan 27, 2020
Reactions: monty55

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Oh ok. I am not swooning over "hand fordged" I was just curious.

Just found this single bevel axe for $70.

But, I feel like it would have a steeper learning curve and be less versatile than the ones mentioned.
That Hewing broad axe would be perfect for the task for what your looking to do... if your left handed. If your right handed you need the left bevel axe.

Generally speaking "hand forged" is just that. Your big companies like Fiskar and Gerber do not claim to produce hand forged tools, but their products work fine for the weekend camper.

Reactions: puff_not_snuff
Jan 27, 2020
That Hewing broad axe would be perfect for the task for what your looking to do... if your left handed. If your right handed you need the left bevel axe.

Generally speaking "hand forged" is just that. Your big companies like Fiskar and Gerber do not claim to produce hand forged tools, but their products work fine for the weekend camper.

That site might be a scam as these are like $150 axes and no one seems to have the left bevel in stock. I think I'm better off sticking to a normal axe like the ones mentioned although I can't stop looking at photos of that broadaxe :LOL:

aspiring_sage

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2021
West of the Twin Cities, MN
I’ve been extremely happy with products from coldsteel.
The tomahawks are portable like a hatchet but less dangerous.
I like to tinker, I did put some work into “fixing it up” but they are very inexpensive and very satisfying to use.

What kind of work are you looking to do with it?
Eg: I’ve got ~ 20 mature trees on .5 acre that shed a pickup-truckload of brush every year. I’m mostly limbing big branches and preparing firewood for a recreational fire pit.

I have a small chainsaw, splitting ma, cold-steel axe, and cold-steel “frontier hawk”. I recommend the hawk, I use it most around the yard, also finding it light & capable on camping/canoe trips.

If my use case doesn’t match yours, maybe weight my opinion lighter.