PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ryan

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2021
Noblesville Indiana USA
Really eh? I bought a Bracken and mine only came with a green plastic stem. I got ripped 😂
I’m sorry, it looked like the stem was the same as the one on the Emerald, which is acrylic. I just looked at SP and saw that you are clearly correct. I was thinking of getting one of those because I thought it was acrylic! Shows what I know. I need to read and not just look at pictures.

Singed

Lurker
Dec 23, 2023
Got a couple original forever stems, and a couple from Vermont freehand before they took over the forever stems. High quality but not really my thing. They don't provide the open draw I like with my cobs. Too much gurgle.

My favorite stems are the MM Danish bits. Seemingly higher quality plastic. Softer material. Wide open.
I also have a cob with the MM Danish bit, a huge improvement over their standard bit, aesthetically and functionally, options in black or amber. I can't recall if they also have filterless options.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
At one time MM made vulcanite bits, my dad’s old Freehand (late 60’s/early 70’s) has a Danish styled vulcanite bit. Different stems than they use now (actual cob) so it’s not interchangeable with new ones.
He wasn’t one to tinker and modify things.
Pic when I first found it in his garage:
View attachment 278029
Up until 5-6 years ago, they still had vulcanite on the freehand. When the cobbits first came out in 2014 they had long vulcanite stems as well.

Last edited:

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Up until 5-6 years ago, they still had vulcanite on the freehand. When the cobbits first came out in 2014 they had long vulcanite stems as well.
Right on.
Did they still have cob stems 5-6 yrs ago with the vulcanite bits?
If they had the later “made to look like cob” stem and vulcanite bit, that would be a good sample for someone to measure tenon on to help guys search the right vulcanite blank to finish.