PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I don't really make tampers per se, but I like them to have the qualities of a spent 410 ga shotgun shell. So that's what I use most of the time. I know it's not very elegant, or classy looking but they work really well! Once in a while I come across a little stick that fits inside nice and tight, cut it off, whittle the end to a point, and now I have a scraper too. I've even used the brass off a 410 shell to repair the shank of one of my wife's Stanwells.

I just got another one today as I used the 410 to dispatch a Copperhead snake the the dogs were aggravating. Can't have expensive vet bills cutting into my pipe and tobacco funds! :evil:

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Uh, I ain't so sure I know what an "aesthetic principle" is. 8O I just try to make something that looks good to my eye.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
You got it right Ed:
aes·thet·ics [ es théttiks ]
Definition of aesthetics (n) Bing Dictionary
1. outward appearance: the way something looks, especially when considered in terms of how pleasing it is 2. idea of beauty: an idea of what is beautiful or artistic 3. study of art: the study of the rules and principles of art
I like some weight in my tampers. For that reason I search out exotic hardwoods that are dense and heavy. Another trait many of these woods have is striking and beautiful grain and color. Small metallic caps and tamper ends do add some mass to a tamper but I'm just not really a fan of the added on metal. Like a military shank or spiogot pipe the extra bling does look good but is not essential for the tamper to work as intended.

ocpsdan

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
Michigan
I've only made a few tampers, but when I do buy tampers I look for a few things. First, it has to serve its function. Second, I like my tampers to have character. Each tampers character suits it's function: I have one I keep in my travel pouch, one in my smoking lounge, and a few scattered in likely spots like the garage and car.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
It's best if they're not flammable.

I wanted a light weight one so I fashioned one out of tissue paper.

It didn't last long... but it was spectacular. :)

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
I can understand matching a tamper to a favorite pipe. Sweet! And I like the ones that have integrated pipe tools with them. Genius! Or the crafty ones where unusual things are repurposed in a clever way. And, a gun nut, all the ammo-based ones catch my eye.
Best I could do, if I entered Winton's contest, is stick a short piece of dowel in the brass of a 410 shotshell with a goldfinch feather sticking up from it... I'd use it, but would someone be pleased to be assigned something like that?
Having no cards to play and knowing you'll call me if I bluff, I'll just fold and watch from the bar. (And secretly turn this old Lazy Ike into a makeshift tamper. And that coffee cup peg. Or this piece from an old spinning wheel. And I could do something with that old corn-on-the-cob holder. This antique cabinet handle.....
Be right back.(If I'm on the wrong track, holler -- my wife will not like me disorganizing my mess all over the place, looking for tamper-ideas).

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
Just look at how many tampers I could tip with the keys of this old Underwood. Is that cool for a pipe smoking writer with an Savinelli 320 Author, or what?

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
Oh my golly --- I just remembered my muzzleloader parts basket. Those broken ramrods have brass ends that ... well what *else* would you do with them if you weren't ramming gunpowder with them?
I think I stopped caring what the recipient wants to get. I have ideas about what I want to *make*. All these little parts will turn into something.
You bastards. (Like I have time for this, now).

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
well considering I mainly use my finger or lighter or golf tee.. If it works, I love it.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
Oh here we go. The contest man answered this question himself a year ago in another thread. From Winton:
... it is not that complicated. Literally a stick on the ground can be a tamper. Everything beyond that is just adding to the COOL factor. You don't need to have a shell at the bottom. Unless your tamper is made of balsa wood, it will never burn up. If you want a shell as the end, then simply taper the end. Presto! The shell fits perfectly! I use gorilla glue, but anything that glues metal to wood would work. Actually, if you have the taper on one end, place the shell on that end and use a hammer on the other end. I strongly doubt you will be able to remove the shell.
Now if you want a beautifully turned tamper made from exotic wood from foreign rain forests with lots of turning features, let me know. Or come to the Chicago Pipe Show and see what I make.
Winton

Dec 24, 2012
The key thing I look for in a tamper is a protruding wedge shape. This allows me to tamp the edges of the bowl while not tamping the middle of the bowl (which burns more quickly). Ideally you want the middle of the bowl higher than the sides of the bowl - that is, so the top of the tobacco has a convex surface. My Larry Roush tamper is the perfect implement in this regard. It gives me a perfect and even burning smoke.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
+1 Peck ... I like my tampers to be concave ... like a golf tee.
Concave tamper = convex tobacco surface

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
12Pups,
I have been thinking about the tamper issue for a day, before I responded. I think there is a balance between utility and beauty. Any stick, dowel, finger, etc can knock ash down. Beauty and style is on the other side. I have admired some silver tampers on eBay that were cast in the form of Dickens characters. These would be great to admire and use while smoking. But would probably not be helpful for cleaning out the dottle at the bottom of the pipe. Some tampers fulfill both functions, but most lean toward utility or beauty.
During the pipe show, I had two tampers with me at all times. One was an ornate oak tamper and the other was a $2 three tool tamper. The spoon on the utility tool was perfect for cleaning the pipe. Someday I want to get a pipe nail.
Winton

Lots of great posts. I too like a concave tamper, as I really liked the way a golf tee worked, so I made mine in that fashion. I still use tees, because they're so cheap. I also like a scoop, shovel thing on the end to help me clear the chamber when I am done. I don't ever use a pick, because I just don't even need one. But, I also try to make the scoop end not too sharp, because I want to be able to carry it in my pocket.
Also, if I am kicking back with my pipe and focusing on the ritual and the process, I like to have something to look at, a visual catalyst for thinking, so I put really unique stones on mine, opals, spectrolite, stones that look like little shards of magic. Something to gaze into and loose myself in while smoking. But, then again, I love stones. Not everyone is going to appreciate the dancing colors of opals. But, I dig them.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
rsuninv -- cool!
Winton, thank you. That pretty much sums up the swirling notions I've just kicked up. I just had never thought of it before. Didn't think I *would* think about it much. But now... now I'm sorting a bazillion images of tampers from countless webpages and trying to whittle down just what is attracting people to them. Is it limitless, I wondered, or are there guiding principles.
Your answer was indeed well thought out. And it went right to the heart of the issue. Of the bazillion forms, some are more utilitarian, some are exotically novel or artistic and "also" tampers. A sort of continuum with "best of both" in the middle.
Peck -- never thought about *that* before, either (shaping the fill). I'm going to try that this afternoon.
And... this afternoon, gentleman, I get the fatherly privilege of removing a cigarette from my boy's hand (freshly out of the service and meeting me this afternoon), and handing him his first pipe to have a smoke with me.
More on that, later.

Status
Not open for further replies.