PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jessicac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2014
I was cleaning the stem for moisture. its a Peterson bent system, and the wool bit came right off inside..
So I tried to push it out w it a pipe cleaner.
Now.. its stuck...
any advice guys?

ericthered

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2014
Suffolk, VA
Maybe a shank brush could push it through? Sounds like something more rigid than a pipe cleaner is necessary at this point, like a length of 10 or 12 gauge wire. You could also apply pressure/suction.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
The first thing I'd try is a bristle pipe cleaner. I only suggest this as I have some at hand in the assortment I keep handy at my routine smoking areas and a few in the truck. Slip one inside and twirl it a bit. I think the wire bristles will grab the cotton so you can remove the cotton.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Jessica, I'd go from the gentlest method, brads hot water bath, to the bristled pipe cleaner, to the soft wire.

If all else fails, the replacement stem sounds like a good plan C or D. But I suspect the hot water will do the

trick. In my experience, Q-tip cotton reduces in size when wet, unlike rice kernels for example that expand greatly.

(Irrelevant detail: Some old sailing ships carrying casks of dry rice had their hulls split in half when the hold flooded

because of the expansion of the rice. Horrible thought.)

jessicac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2014
So I tried the hot water trick...
then in the absence of anything stronger, I used a guitar string to try to move it..
and the string went right through the stem..
therefore, I'm now needing a new stem lol

jessicac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2014
Well, I'll chalk it down to a learning experience. Besides, it was probably my fault. Next time I'll just stick to pipe cleaners..

jessicac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2014
Must have been the final stab that broke it. Remember that I've been trying to get it out since the night before by sticking a variety of hard objects into that stem.
As for a replacement, its a Peterson System so it wouldn't be too much of a problem, those things can be replaced off the shelf right?

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Sorry about your bad luck. Sometimes we learn by our mistakes. ; ~ )

I broke the top part of the button on my Wally Frank within minutes of unpacking it. It was much more brittle than I'd realized. I superglued it and it works fine. Now I know more about stems.

I too, have used and do use cotton tips in the shanks of my pipes.

Yours is a cautionary tale.
Not qualified to answer your question.

oldredbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2012
4Noggins has them. I think all the system pipes are taper fit stems, so it should fit with little or know modification.
Here

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Jess, SmokingPipes.com has replacement Peterson stems at:

http://www.smokingpipes.com/accessories/pipe-supplies/index.cfm?tag=Peterson
lots of retailers carry them.

The next time you get a Q-tip stuck, a thin bladed saw, using a longitudinal cut, will cut the stem neatly in half. Then you can easily remove the Q-tip. :roll:

jessicac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2014
Classic Jmill!!! Although the radio station that my boss insists on playing makes me contemplate using that method of ear cleaning..

Status
Not open for further replies.