PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
If you do handle your meerschaum pipe with your bare hands... what does it look like when it ages? Is there a pic anywhere?

I have been handling mine with the stem as the baron recommended... but not even sure I want to be that careful... I feel like gripping it etc...

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Just grip it, the contoured fingerprints that absorb into the Meer gives it charecter :)
Besides Lee Van Cleef griped his like that and now his Meer pipe is one of the most sought after styles on the market, everyone and their mother wishes they could have a pipe that looks like his, so it can't be that bad!

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
I am not a big fan of delicatly handling my pipes but... that being said, you should always make sure your hands are very clean to avoid smudges, dirt stains etc. Many ppl will not handle the bowl with their bare hands as they do not want grease, dirt, salt etc. to mar the colouring of the Meer. I can fully understand this. So I guess it boils down to how fussy you are and the final results you are looking for mate.

sixmp

Can't Leave
Jan 19, 2012
I read an article a while ago that said that handling the pipe would only effect colouring if A) Hands are not dry and clean, B) The coating of wax was thick enough and soft enough to allow fingerprints. I handle mine and it looks fine.

The one thing that did bug me though is i recently reapplied wax to the pipe and it changed the colouring from a nice even ivory looking effect to what i can only describe as patchy.
It is starting to even out again with smoking.
I tried to find the article again before posting but i had no luck :(

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
I handle my meers barehanded all the time as well... no problem.
I know some people get kind of silly (IMO) when handling meers... to the extent of wearing gloves :crazy:

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
While I agree with the conventional wisdom that you should not handle a meerschaum pipe by the bowl,I dropped one of my favorite meers while holding it by by the stem. Now I just make sure my hands are clean and grip them by the bowl. It doesn't seem to have had any ill affects on coloring. :puffy:

Aug 14, 2012
I handle them bare handed without any special consideration other than clean hands. Once in a while I have to take a paper towel with a little 114 proof gin on it and wipe them clean. As the pipe colors, you don't even notice a little off white staining caused by the hands. I had my first meerschaum for 46 years. The shaft was black, the bowl dark tobacco colored by that time. Any small stains from the hands were really not noticed. After 46 years, the shaft & stem were taped together and there was a hole in the bottom of the bowl which had to be taped over. Also the top of the bowl was worn down from careless banging on an ashtray. When the thing was finally so full of tobacco moisture that You could barely smoke it, I unsentimentally tossed it out, provoking outrage from my wife and friend.

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
[quoteWhen the thing was finally so full of tobacco moisture that You could barely smoke it, I unsentimentally tossed it out, provoking outrage from my wife and friend.[/quote]
love that

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Same thing with me. I just wash my hands before handling and then wipe the meer surface with a soft cloth after smoking.

fireman03

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2012
I'm my opinion, handling them would give the pipe more character. Imagine having an old, well handled meer passed down from your pappy or grand pappy. To me, that would have more sentimental value

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Clean hands are a must. Don't smoke your meer when working on the car, for example. If you have a bent meer, you can rest the bottom of the bowl on the palm of your hand, works really well for me. If your meer is carved, ashes and stuff WILL get in the crevices of the carving, use a soft toothbrush to get those guys out every once in a while. Don't handle the meer after waxing and polishing, let it sit for a couple days, otherwise it will smudge, and you'll end up with sticky fingers too....

Status
Not open for further replies.