PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbiemo

Lurker
Jul 9, 2012
https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=10150922833326817&set=oa.405059042885749&type=1&theater

I was referred here by a friend on FaceBook in hopes that some of you nice folks could help me identify this pipe, I purchased it at a pawn shop years ago (25+) for myself on my birthday.It has some weight to it and is definatly stone. I have had many novice speculators say they think it is from the southern part of the U.S. , Any help in understanding the culture behind this pipe would be greatly appreciated.. Thank you in Advance, Barbara (p.s. I hope that picture is viewable.If you need more pictures let me know.)I guess from the way it appears you will have to copy and paste the whole link into your browser to see it.

barbiemo

Lurker
Jul 9, 2012
Thanks for your reply Jaysin, that is a new concept, Ive heard everything but South American. Thank you for the lead

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Barb I'm no expert on Native American pipes, but one thing I know to look for is evidence of metal tools. Almost all true artifacts were pecked out and smoothed with stone, so things like file marks and perfectly round holes are evidence of a modern pipe.

I really cant see enough detail in your pictures to see things like that. The bowl itself looks pretty rough and out of round, as if it was drilled out with a stone drill, but then it could still be modern and just sloppy manufacture.

Your best bet is to find a forum dedicated to native american artifacts.

Good luck, its a neat piece !

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
That is an interesting pipe.

Have you considered taking it to a Natural History Museum.
It reminds me of a bat.

That being said it may be Central American.

But, that is just a guess.

jaysin

Lifer
Feb 8, 2012
Indiana
As a collector and dealer In Native American artifacts the best way to look for tool marks is with a lighted 10 to 20x jewlers loup with a light and the use of a uv light as things that have been in the ground for hundreds of years lose alot of the stones minerals and if newly made or reworked the black light would make the frensly exposed minerals light up. I also showed a friend of mine the pic and he would guess Centeral to South American hes going to look in to it more and see if he can find anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.