PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

osiris01

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 21, 2017
G'day all
Not a life-changing issue, but I'm just curious. Pictured below is the stamping on an Old Church - I've had a few pass through my hands, half of which had various omissions in the standard nomenclature, but this has an additional one: the 'UK 002'. I'm assuming that it is something to do with the domestic market, but it would be very nice to know with a degree of certainty. I understand he, at least was asked, not to date-stamp some pipes heading to the US, but I've found no trace of info that suggests he ever added to this basic stamping - early days, yes, but not in '89. Can anyone shed any light on this? Could be just a personal aide memoire I guess, but somewhat more permanent than I had imagined.
Many thanks,
Geoff
old-church-600x339.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Very interesting, I've not seen the UK stamp on a Ashton previously. Lets see the rest of the pipe please, Single X sizes were pretty rare birds.

osiris01

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 21, 2017
I can't believe I'm posting such a crap image, but it's the best the mobile will do at 2am. I'll put a proper one up tomorrow. It a lovely little bulldog and not actually as small as I had thought: 18mm dia and about 35mm down. Think the former owner was a chimney sweep so there's a bit of a clean-up required.
ashton2-600x339.jpg

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
I have nothing to offer in regard to helping I'm afraid but that's a nice looking pipe to my eye.

osiris01

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 21, 2017
Thanks fellas. It is a lovely pipe and beautifully blasted - and apart from the somewhat sooty patina, in fantastic condition. I'll clean it up and post an image or 2. Regarding the stamp, I've no idea. I did wonder briefly last night if the pipe was a custom made, but I suspect I was overthinking it. Might try to find an email for Jimmy Craig and see if he can shed some light on it, although it was well before his time, but you never know.
Cheers,
Geoff

osiris01

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 21, 2017
Here's a better photo.
I have just been going over the R D Field Ashton collection and apparently 1989 was the first year Old Church pipes were produced. The first one off the rack went to R D Field. Wouldn't it be wonderful if this was the second one? Well, it's a nice dream.
img_4774-600x400.jpg

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I am not very knowledgeable on ashton pipes, but that is one nice looking bulldog.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I think that this pipe was #2 in the new line certainly seems like a good possiblity! I sure wish these things could learn to talk!

osiris01

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 21, 2017
:D That would take all the fun out of it.
I think it is a number '2' of something - what, is a different matter. The presence of the 'UK' implies that there was at least one more sequence of numbers - 'US' is the most likely candidate I should think, but I've not been able to take that thought any further. There's also the shape: if you're producing a new line with a new finish, would you choose a bulldog as your first pipe? To me it's not the most obvious choice, but I don't really know how they worked. Sadly, I'm not sure anyone alive has the answers and to hope that it is a numbered edition of an Old Church is a bit of a stretch even for my sunny and optimistic disposition.
Jimmy Craig might possibly know, but I can't find business contact information for him (can't even find him on the Companies House register) so, if anyone does know, and is comfortable giving his details to me, I'd be very grateful.
Cheers all,
Geoff

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Mike Hagley probably knows more about Bill Taylor's early solo output than Craig does.
The good news? Mike shows up here from time to time. Shoot him a PM (his boardname is just "Hagley", I think)

usrkain47

Might Stick Around
Aug 26, 2017
Tennessee
I rarely jump into the frey but I had no choice but to complement in regards to that fine stout example of an English bulldog. Beautiful specimen indeed good sir!

osiris01

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 21, 2017
Many thanks for your interest chaps. Being a Limey, I've been in bed since my last post, so I've not made any progress. Georged: many thanks for the tip; I shall go and aggravate Hagley.
Cheers,
Geoff

osiris01

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 21, 2017
Mike: I did pm you earlier, but thanks again for all your efforts. Your contact list is considerably more impressive than mine.
Cheers Mike,
Geoff

osiris01

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 21, 2017
Hi Mike,
I think I was taking the belt and braces approach in case you didn't receive my pm. However, since you replied, perhaps we should put my approach down to either dimwitted stupidity or some unspeakably complex multiverse phenomena - take your pick.
Thank you so much for your efforts - for some reason I suspected that this one wasn't going to be easily resolved, and Jim and David were the only two names I had, neither of whom I knew how to contact.
So, curious it shall remain and will eat in to my soul for all eternity. Thanks also to those who contributed.
Cheers,
Geoff

Nov 21, 2016
Just my 2cents worth but I have talked to Marty Pulvers about a similar issue with an early Bill Taylor pipe.

He knew him well and might be able to shed some light.

Good luck and puff on.

Status
Not open for further replies.