PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I use Obsidian oil but not as a lubricant for pipe rubbers. I've no idea what effect Obsidian has on vulcanite or acrylic if left on on a semi permanent basis in whatever amounts. Seems like no one else does either. Let us know when you find out!

I personally prefer the softer silicone bits rather than the BJ Longs.
I leave Obsidian on my stems until I'm ready to smoke them again. No issues.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I only thought to leave Obsidian on the stems a short period, as suggested on the bottle.

I think the longest I’ve left on a Stem is 1-2 hours, typically only 30 minutes.

Reactions: BROBS

NC TX ID pipeman

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 25, 2021
North Carolina,Texas,Idaho
I don’t know why, but since I was originally thinking to keep them on while the pipes are resting.

I guess just put the stem in the mouth to get wet, then slide the bit on, and the take off when done smoking, clean the pipe, and just leave the bits off until ready to smoke, and then just put back on like this then.
If i have to do all that I would not even bother with them..Just put it on and leave it there until it will brake-year or longer...some pipes have narrower stems so if you clean the pipe slide it and clean behind and slide back.Bits on pipes with thicker stem seals pretty good so just clean around it..but its everybody's own choice..Guys are right here-leave the obsidian oil on ...I just do it once in a while not after every smoke I keep my pipes in shade...

Last edited:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
All of my pipes are ebonite. I wipe it on and then let it sit until on the pipe till I use it next. I rub it nice and clean and all my pipes shine and I get a nice clean shine. I find it works well for my pipes and my pipe stems stay shiny and I have shiny pipes at all times.

I screwed up ordering last time as I bought a bunch of pipe cleaners and ordered my usual 8 bottles of Obidisian . Then I get another package in that has 16 Obidisian stem oils. This should last me a long time which is fine. My gut is telling me that Obidisian is going the way of the dodo. I love the stuff.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Ok, so take off after each smoke, wipe down.

But what about putting them back on with some Obsidian Oil on the Stem to make it easier to slide on, and letting them sit for a while before smoking? Will a wee bit of Obsidian Oil sitting on the Stem for several days or a week do anything negative?

I’m only talking about an extremely small amount, as little as possible of Obsidian to slide them on with.

That's what I do. It took me a short while to get used to softy bits but now it doesn't feel right without them. So put some Obsidian on and slide the bit on.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
@NC TX ID pipeman I have a few pipes with Vulcanite and Cumberland stems, I don’t plan to leave the bits long term on these stems. I’ll just take them off when done smoking, don’t think it’s a good idea to leave long term on those stems.

@BROBS when I first got some BJ Long and Softy bits, I didn’t like the rubber taste either. But the taste on a Softy bit I smoked from, had no taste.

This Moretti Morta I just recently bought is 92 grams LOL, it’s to say the least a bit uncomfortable trying to hold on to the Acrylic Stem with my teeth, but a breeze using a Softy bit. So the weight of this pipe is what got me into looking into using these again.

Also I really wanted to take care of my Bay Denmark Cumberland Stem too.

The Moretti with a Softy bit.

43787585-82CE-4F17-8684-D45786057AE7.jpeg

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
When just holding and sipping, I’m still getting use to it, still a bit odd.

Does anyone know who makes Obsidian Oil?

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I only thought to leave Obsidian on the stems a short period, as suggested on the bottle.

I think the longest I’ve left on a Stem is 1-2 hours, typically only 30 minutes.

It won't hurt it if left on longer.
I use Obsidian oil but not as a lubricant for pipe rubbers. I've no idea what effect Obsidian has on vulcanite or acrylic if left on on a semi permanent basis in whatever amounts. Seems like no one else does either. Let us know when you find out!

I personally prefer the softer silicone bits rather than the BJ Longs.

IT, buy Silicone bits (you can get them on ebay). SOooo much better than rubber. I also use silicone tape if the bit is too small. The original softy bits made of rubber as you have discovered is awful.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I make it. It's been out for 11 years now and no one has complained of long term damage from using it and there shouldn't be any.
Wooo you make Obsidian Oil, no joke?

I emailed SPC asking them who made it, and they told me they don’t know, and I found that really odd, that they didn’t know.

I only tasted a bit of rubber when I first had them, the Softy bits are nice, I really like them on my Moretti Morta, they’re wider and easier to fit on, that pipe has a really wide stem.