PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I think I’m going to start using rubber bits, especially on my fat chubby Moretti Morta, it’s a bit heavy, so this should make it easier to hang on to.

Some of my stems are wide and really difficult, next to impossible to put the bits on. If I put a wee bit of Obsidian oil, to help them slide on easier, is it ok that the oil is just left on the Stem, for Acrylic Vulcanite and Cumberland?

I finally decided to also put on a BJ on my Bay Denmark Apple with it’s Cumberland Stem, I’m too paranoid to get teeth marks in this beautiful red Cumberland Stem.. LOL ?

89E46741-81A7-4AC1-873F-2BE5E078DF5C.jpeg

Last edited:

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Ok, so take off after each smoke, wipe down.

But what about putting them back on with some Obsidian Oil on the Stem to make it easier to slide on, and letting them sit for a while before smoking? Will a wee bit of Obsidian Oil sitting on the Stem for several days or a week do anything negative?

I’m only talking about an extremely small amount, as little as possible of Obsidian to slide them on with.

Reactions: MtnGeo

JSPiper71

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2022
Toronto Canada
I’ve started using them too, because it‘s nice to rest the cobs and take out a better pipe every now and then on a walk when I need my hands. I’d be careful with oiling them to get them on as I’ve found they start sliding around after moisture gets between them and the stem. I wouldn’t lubricate them at all as they would probably become very slippery. @isaacrn thanks for the tip!!

Reactions: MtnGeo

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I’m talking an extremely small dab, as little as possible needed just to make the Stem ever so slightly slippery to get them on.

I have a few pipes with very wide stems, there is no way to get the rubber bits on, unless I do it like this.

I’m assuming Discoloration is only for Vulcanite/Cumberland Stems, not acrylic.

By the way, who makes Obsidian Oil?

Last edited:
May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
Not my thing. I’ve tried them & all it did was increase the amount of pipe cleaners I employed. Also, the flavor of rubber in my mouth interfered with my smoking enjoyment. Finally, it doesn’t matter to me if a stem gets a little chewed up…tools get scratched all the time and I don’t mind the worn look. ☕

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Snake oil? Hmm ?

Well I’m not using enough oil to make the bits slide around once in place.

To be honest, when I first got them, I put them on, stuck a pipe in my mouth and was like bahhh, rubber taste, feels thick and didn’t care for it.

But now, after getting my chubby 92 gram Moretti Morta of a beast, LOL, I started to rethink these, because holding that thing between the teeth with an acrylic stem, was a bit heavy and uncomfortable and with a rubber bit on, such a joy to hold now.

I’m only concerned about leaving an extremely thin coat of Obsidian Oil on the Stem, under the rubber bit is all, either for a length of time, hours while smoking, or after I smoke, take it off, wipe the stem down, put a small coat of the oil back on the Stem, put the bit back on and leave it for several days with it on before smoking, if this is ok?

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Not sure if everyone has overlooked/missed what I’m asking about.

Let me rephrase it.

1. Apply the absolute bare minimal amount of Obsidian Oil to the Stem, to make it easier to slide a bit on.

2. Smoke the pipe for several hours.

3. When done smoking, pull the bit off, clean the pipe as usual, then apply a very small amount of Obsidian Oil to put the bit back on, and now let the pipe sit and dry/rest for a few days.

So the question is, after smoking and letting the pipe possibly sit for a few days with the bit placed back on with some Obsidian Oil, if the oil like this for any length of time left under the bit will have any negative effects on Acrylic/Vulcanite/Cumberland?

Or I guess, when cleaning the pipes after smoking, just keep the bits off, until ready to smoke again, then put them back on... hmm ?

Reactions: jpmcwjr

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I use Obsidian oil but not as a lubricant for pipe rubbers. I've no idea what effect Obsidian has on vulcanite or acrylic if left on on a semi permanent basis in whatever amounts. Seems like no one else does either. Let us know when you find out!

I personally prefer the softer silicone bits rather than the BJ Longs.

Reactions: PipeIT

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Not sure if everyone has overlooked/missed what I’m asking about.

Let me rephrase it.

1. Apply the absolute bare minimal amount of Obsidian Oil to the Stem, to make it easier to slide a bit on.

2. Smoke the pipe for several hours.

3. When done smoking, pull the bit off, clean the pipe as usual, then apply a very small amount of Obsidian Oil to put the bit back on, and now let the pipe sit and dry/rest for a few days.

So the question is, after smoking and letting the pipe possibly sit for a few days with the bit placed back on with some Obsidian Oil, if the oil like this for any length of time left under the bit will have any negative effects on Acrylic/Vulcanite/Cumberland?

Or I guess, when cleaning the pipes after smoking, just keep the bits off, until ready to smoke again, then put them back on... hmm ?
Yes, this last paragraph should be fine.

NC TX ID pipeman

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 25, 2021
North Carolina,Texas,Idaho
i have rubber bits on all my pipes but never removed them completely after smoke.They just stay there..If I see that moisture got behind them I will slide it a little and clean it...after about a year or longer if I see them bits cracked or bit through I replace them with new one...They leave an unoxidized ring under them on vulcanite stems when rest of the stems oxidizes..no problem If i dont like it i just sand the stem to look brand new once in a while...I never noticed discoloration on acrylic or real horn stems

Reactions: Mr_houston

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I don’t know why, but since I was originally thinking to keep them on while the pipes are resting.

I guess just put the stem in the mouth to get wet, then slide the bit on, and the take off when done smoking, clean the pipe, and just leave the bits off until ready to smoke, and then just put back on like this then.

Reactions: jpmcwjr