PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Although you mentioned it for use in blending, author Richard Carleton Hacker, in hisThe Ultimate Pipe Book, said this of Perique, "It is the one tobacco that should never be smoked by itself; smoking straight Perique is the equivalent of having a lobotomy." That comment struck me as both amusing and true.
Funny! I've smoked straight Perique and found it quite enjoyable, except at the end where there can be something of an unpleasant aftertaste.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Although you mentioned it for use in blending, author Richard Carleton Hacker, in hisThe Ultimate Pipe Book, said this of Perique, "It is the one tobacco that should never be smoked by itself; smoking straight Perique is the equivalent of having a lobotomy." That comment struck me as both amusing and true.
If that's true, then smoking Sutliff 515 RC-1 would be the equivalent of having a lobotomy performed by Jeffrey Dahmer... 😨

I have had a tour of La Poche back when it was a part of the New Orleans Pipe Show. Mark gave us all a presentation on how perique does not have very much nicotine, as the fermentation process converts the nicotine molecules into more complex molecules, which merely allows us to absorb more nicotine from whatever leaf it is blended. By itself, it is merely an acrid monochromatic smoke, but not unpleasant, and whatever overdoses are reported are most likely psychosomatic.

La Poche only has someone there when there is a process to undergo. There are so few barrels created at any one time, that they would easily fit into a two car garage, with room for your mowers and other yard equipment. It is small. You can't just visit it. The largest butler buildings are where the workers who only show up for a few days out of the year sit and devein and sort the leaf.

There really isn't anything to visit. But, you might try giving Mark a call. If there is money involved, he might be willing to give you a tour. But, you'd most likely face an angry Cajun with a shotgun if you were prying around his barn. BTW, it is located in a residential area, so his neighbors would be keeping check for him.

Ha ha, but YMMV

swampgrizzly

Might Stick Around
Sep 26, 2018
South Louisiana, U.S.A.
I have had a tour of La Poche back when it was a part of the New Orleans Pipe Show. Mark gave us all a presentation on how perique does not have very much nicotine, as the fermentation process converts the nicotine molecules into more complex molecules, which merely allows us to absorb more nicotine from whatever leaf it is blended. By itself, it is merely an acrid monochromatic smoke, but not unpleasant, and whatever overdoses are reported are most likely psychosomatic.

La Poche only has someone there when there is a process to undergo. There are so few barrels created at any one time, that they would easily fit into a two car garage, with room for your mowers and other yard equipment. It is small. You can't just visit it. The largest butler buildings are where the workers who only show up for a few days out of the year sit and devein and sort the leaf.

There really isn't anything to visit. But, you might try giving Mark a call. If there is money involved, he might be willing to give you a tour. But, you'd most likely face an angry Cajun with a shotgun if you were prying around his barn. BTW, it is located in a residential area, so his neighbors would be keeping check for him.

Ha ha, but YMMV
Not only is it a facility that one is not allowed to drop in on, but even the perique tobacco fields are likely not visible from public roads. I was lucky enough to get cleared for viewing Mr. L. A. Poche's grandson's perique patch and a private tour of the processing facility via my membership in the Farm Bureau Federation with an actual federation agent quizzing me and then clearing me. Mr. Poche's grandson's 60 acre perique tobacco patch was well hidden in the middle of a thousand acres of sugar cane that he also farms. Even though the fields were not fenced in from the public road, the perique patch was so deeply placed within all the sugar cane fields with several turns on the turn rows that I doubt I could find the patch again on my own. He was an extremely friendly guy, but I couldn't help but notice the small firearm he carried at his waist line!

The You Tube video of that New Orleans Pipe Club Show and tour of the L.A. Porche facilities mentioned above is a very realistic presentation of what one would see if you were allowed in.

Bluemonter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 29, 2021
So....are the Sutliff TS20 and C&D Granulated Perique really 'Acadian Perique' as apposed to 'St. James Perique'?
Would it be safe to presume that blends listed as having 'Perique' in them without specifying 'St. James Perique' are Acadian?
Wish I had some straight up St. J to compare to the TS20.
Has anyone compared these two and are willing to offer up any comparisons?
Tnx