PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigboss93

Lurker
Jan 3, 2012
Greetings!
I am planning on buying some peterson irish flake, and peterson university flake pipe tobacco, and I'm wondering if both are good strong tobaccos. Also the only possible way of getting the tobacco is online, but I have heard that purchasing tobacco online is risky. Due to stories that I have heard of people that have bought tobacco products online, and eventually owed thousands of dollars in unpaid taxes to their state. Although most or all of the stories were of people that purchased cigarettes. Can anyone confirm that the stories are true.
Thanks in advance.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I've never heard those stories... I've purchased pipe tobacco from several online retailers and never had a problem.
What do you mean by "strong"? Strong in nicotine? Strong in flavor?

bigboss93

Lurker
Jan 3, 2012
I'm looking for a strong flavor since I've tried aromatics and many of them just taste bland.

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
Hullo bigboss

Not tried UF though I will for sure.

IF on the other hand is in the upper tier regarding amount of nicotine delivered and full-on tobacco taste. Wonderful stuff.
I too have read of folks getting hit with state taxes but every instance has been from cigarette purchases.

Strictly speaking I would imagine any tobacco purchase sent to any state with a tobacco tax would be subject to the buyer being responsible for said taxes. Of course that would mean I owe... a lot!
Got me knocking on wood just now (-:
I've as yet to be hit up for taxes owed and easily 99% of my purchases have been online from out of state as well as country vendors. Living dangerously?

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
strong in latikia would be larry's blend(P&C), steamroller(P&C), Hearth &Home Blackhouse(P&C), there r just a few examples. there r so many more u can list em all day

bigboss93

Lurker
Jan 3, 2012
OTD I'm glad that I'm not the only one that heard of the stories, annd I find it strange that all or most cases heard of involved only cigarette purchases.
nsfisher thanks for the sugestions, and I'll certanly look those up.

lyst36

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2011
I've never had a single problem with buying online. I think you would have to be moving a lot of product for it to be that big of a deal.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
pipesandcigars.com and smokingpipes.com are both reputable and reliable and that source of just about any kind of tobacco that you may like. I've never been hit with any kind of tax for pipe tobacco.

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
Only guessing mind, but I think the focus on tobacco taxation has been centered on tribal sales. Uncle Sugar putting the squeeze on em' dontcha know and those efforts carried over to the states enforcement agencies.
Again, strictly surmise and not to be construed as a political post thank you.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
IF does have a nic kick like a Missouri mule,and plenty of tobacco taste as well. UF is lower in nic, but not a wuss, and the flavor is a little less intense.
As far as taxes go on mail-order purchases, if the site does not add your state's sales tax, you can be liable for that, without a doubt. But that's true for all e-commerce purchase.

bigboss93

Lurker
Jan 3, 2012
So I'm guessing if I realy wanted to be on the safe side I should just hold my recepts after I order some tobacco online, and when it's time to file my yearly state taxes just file the purchases into the forum.

bigboss93

Lurker
Jan 3, 2012
OTD is this a simmilar form you are talking about? http://www.state.me.us/revenue/othertaxes/tobacco/OTPForm0910.pdf

bigboss93

Lurker
Jan 3, 2012
It's disgusting to be required to submit a forum to the government, just to inform them that I purchased something that's legal.

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
The simple fix to that is don't submit it!
I personally feel that reducing the taxes that Uncle Sugar has available to squander is a patriotic endeavor (-;

(cue "Three Cheers for the Red, White and Blue")

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Not sure about Irish Flake, but University Flake is, indeed, strong in every sense of the word. Strong flavour and strong in nicotine.

wildcat

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2012
Looking at that form, am I reading right...
If Bigboss purchased a pouch of Velvet in New Jersey while at the shore, upon his return home, Maine is saying he must pay taxes to Maine even tho he paid takes in NJ?? I mean the whole internet thing while foolish and scary I can kinda sorta maybe understand (not really), but... seriously am I reading that thing right?? I thought it was crummy paying tax when registering my used pickup... wasn't the tax already paid when purchased new at the dealership? I asked the DMV lady this very question... I'm on a list somewhere now.

Status
Not open for further replies.