PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swampy16

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2020
The cigar company CAO made meers for a while. Does anyone have any experience with them. I found a really nice one. I just haven’t gotten that far to really consider one. Are there any big differences between smoking one of these as compared to a briar other than the light weight?

Reactions: Magpiety

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Ok, so I finally managed to place an order through Altinay. Apparently the "3D security" just means you have to call the CC company to verify the order.

So this one's on the way:

View attachment 48238

The Altinay arrived today...fast delivery from Turkey.

Smoking it right now and I'm happy to report it has a very open draw...well designed stem and comfortable bit. Couldn't be more pleased.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Very nice. May you enjoy it in good health for many years.

The only problem with meers is ending up with so many of them that any one doesn’t get enough use to color up quickly. That being said there’s no predicting how fast a pipe will color, if that even matters to you.

Magpiety

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2019
Kansas City
Very nice. May you enjoy it in good health for many years.

The only problem with meers is ending up with so many of them that any one doesn’t get enough use to color up quickly. That being said there’s no predicting how fast a pipe will color, if that even matters to you.

Good to know! Coloring isn't a big thing for me, I don't particularly like how they look after coloring. I'm sure that'll instantly change after I notice it coloring a bit.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I ran across a CAO Meer I had bought around 20 years ago earlier this week. Had been smoked a bit back then. I've smoked it every day since. I agree with @chasingembers not much different than a briar. Perhaps very slightly more neutral. Smokes nice though and I haven't had issues with it smoking hot. I may purchase another at some point. Agree with Harris, stems pretty much suck so Meers need to be small and light for me.

CAO Meer.jpg

Reactions: Magpiety

anantaandroscoggin

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2017
Greene, Maine, USA
I remember reading a story some while back claiming that Brits working overseas in the Empire who were under the impression that meerschaum pipes would color more quickly and beautifully if one kept the pipe warm the entire time, would hire junior officers of the British Army to smoke them "continuously" for the pipe's owner.

Just how much tobacco would that take up, do you suppose?

Reactions: TheWhale13
Status
Not open for further replies.