PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

john19

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 27, 2021
Greece
I know its against the religion of some but I do put Ketchup on my hot dogs too. Also mustard, jalapenos and onions if they are around. The hot dog is just an excuse for great condiments. Heck, Ive even left off the hot dog if I was out but in the mood!
I want sauce barbecue on hot dogs.

Snook

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2019
Idaho
There's definitely a happy medium to be had; not too slow and not too fast. Too slow, and I'm constantly relighting. Too fast, and the tobacco tastes like ashy garbage before I'm even 1/4 done with the bowl.

I often go by temperature of the bowl. If it feels hot, I stop for a minute so it can cool and adjust my cadence accordingly.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Yes..Im trying to slow down. I was doing pretty good. Then at xmas I got covid and lost a lot of taste and smell. It has returned but for a while I was puffing faster in search of flavor. So now Im back to watching my speed a little better but it takes effort. I find it helps to do smokes very deliberately when alone. You can concentrate and absorb the flavors instead of puffing away like mad.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
If your draw meets resistance you will not enjoy your pipe as well as if it draws effortlessly. A fast cadence increases moisture as tobacco releases its moisture due to the heat, causing a steam effect. This in turn makes your tobacco swell and choke the draw. I sometimes use the pick end of my Csezk tool to open the airway or loosen the packing at some point during a smoke. Some smokers are anal about using pipe cleaners during their session. I suppose if it helps them get through their tobacco, it's all good.

pipesbywoo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 7, 2023
Los Angeles
www.etsy.com
If your draw meets resistance you will not enjoy your pipe as well as if it draws effortlessly. A fast cadence increases moisture as tobacco releases its moisture due to the heat, causing a steam effect. This in turn makes your tobacco swell and choke the draw. I sometimes use the pick end of my Csezk tool to open the airway or loosen the packing at some point during a smoke. Some smokers are anal about using pipe cleaners during their session. I suppose if it helps them get through their tobacco, it's all good.
I like to use a pipe cleaner during sessions. Both for any moisture and for raising the bowl slightly after tamping and lighting. I seem to get good results giving the tobacco a little space underneath.

bobomatic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 11, 2023
Colombia
roberthunt.com
Smoking a pipe is a great way to monitor your mood, at least for me. When I'm really relaxed, my mind is at ease, I'm in a meditative mood, my cadence slows dramatically. When I have an anxious mind, worried or something is bothering me, I tend to increase my cadence and the pipe burns hotter. So.... my cadence is on a sliding emotional scale, determined by my mood. It's a way to remind me to find my center, come back into balance. That's one of the reasons why I like smoking a pipe.

gkunkel

Might Stick Around
Mar 18, 2014
I know its against the religion of some but I do put Ketchup on my hot dogs too. Also mustard, jalapenos and onions if they are around. The hot dog is just an excuse for great condiments. Heck, Ive even left off the hot dog if I was out but in the mood!
Ketchup, mustard, relish

HeavyLeadBelly

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 9, 2023
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Sa
Smoking a pipe is a great way to monitor your mood, at least for me. When I'm really relaxed, my mind is at ease, I'm in a meditative mood, my cadence slows dramatically. When I have an anxious mind, worried or something is bothering me, I tend to increase my cadence and the pipe burns hotter. So.... my cadence is on a sliding emotional scale, determined by my mood. It's a way to remind me to find my center, come back into balance. That's one of the reasons why I like smoking a pipe.
me here but also how hard I’m clenching. When I’m smoking at work I notice I clench a lot harder but after work or on the weekend not so much.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Just get thick-walled pipes!

I'm a fast puffer too and I gave up on trying to learn the "right" way to smoke a pipe. Eventually, my tongue gave up complaining, and now it's only the pipe that gets hot—not bad when it's -30 C and you need to warm your hands, mind you. With the workout my tongue has gotten over the years, I may just now put Tabasco on my hot dogs.