PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Both. Mostly outside, but also in bars. I've never noticed any stares or gotten any negative reaction. At least that I've noticed. 8)

eazye77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2012
Hummm. . .that's a good one!
I would say that I am both, but I do it more in privet. At most I will be outside on the back landing or I will be in front of my building. I say I'm more privet because I guess I look at this as being my hobby and it's something I personally enjoy.
When I did do it more in public I did get compliments and positive looks due to not seeing many pipe smokers out there! :puffpipe:

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
I smoke in the man cave, hell it's where all my stuff is anyways, and by my pool outside the back door. When I go to the cigar club, they're not pipe friendly and cigars are what I smoked for 20 years. So I guess I only smoke pipes in the cave, it's where they are all anyways. I could go to the bar where my wife works and smoke, but I don't drink or go to bars so...

jwp159

Can't Leave
Jan 1, 2010
I smoke my pipe anywhere I can legally. If you see me out in public I am smoking my pipe or will be doing so very soon. Same goes at home, I always have my pipe on me and if I'm not smoking give me a few minutes and I will be.

moses

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 12, 2013
Biddeford
2nd jwp159. With the caveat of.. you know.. the lady being home. Then it's car time. Which is also okay. NPR comes in just fine. :-D

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
I smoke in my car and in my lower level of the house. Outside, I smoke when I'm walking around, and the funiest thing is watching people watch me when I'm in Manhattan, one of the great breweriers of the anti-smoking nuts.

rotschefeller

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2012
Köln, Germany
I will smoke a pipe when I go for a walk or when I am waiting for a train. I gave up on taking it to the pub as there is always some drunken idiot who wants to talk to me about it for an hour and then want to try it.

appointed

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2013
I'm both. I very much enjoy my pipe and having some alone time to think, unwind or calm down. However, I also smoke in public some too. I started smoking it in public right after I first started. I made a decision then that I would smoke some in public because I believe I have a responsibility to set a good image as a member of the pipe smoking community. I can't say that I've ever gotten any negative remarks about it neither. The closet being some kids snickering (they stopped when they were surprised at how good it smelled when they walked by). I often have folks come up to me and ask about it and I am more than happy to satisfy that curiosity. Others comment on how nice it smells or just stop, close their eyes and smile. I like to think that I've brought them a little happiness in their day when they reminisce of loved ones. As a point, I try to only smoke nice smelling blends like aros in public.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I like to smoke in public but I am careful where I do it. If you are under 50 it can look like you are smoking something else. Girlfriends a teacher and I work in sales. Perception can make or break us.

auspipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2012
Australia
I smoke at home, in my car and when walking down a local trail. No real desire to smoke in public as there are too many restrictions in Australia, and I like to enjoy a pipe in peace and quiet when I have the time. Have only seen maybe 3 pipe smokers in the last 5 years or so, it is an odd site, and will be even less common as there is currently no pipe tobacco in the local market.

Have noticed a couple of pipe smoker on campus though, some kind of hipster thing, but given that you can only smoke in designated areas and they are always full of cig smokers, and it is a pain in the ass to carry pipes and tobacco around I cannot be bothered.

Status
Not open for further replies.