PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ChuckMijo

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2020
Wherever I am so is my pipe. I do get some strange looks at red lights. I’m sure they think I’m smoking pot. I’m not that old so …

Reactions: Streeper541
Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
Usually don’t smoke while I’m out and about. If I am out, I usually have a purpose with the goal to execute that purpose as efficiently as possible. I don’t want to be bothered with have to deal with an accessory while getting stuff done.

Unless on vacation, I just don’t stroll around in public for fun.

Dudditz

Jun 3, 2021
New Jersey
Always at home or over a buddy's house whose family is ok with me stepping outside for a smoke. Can't smoke in a store or restaurant anymore, so that limits much of the opportunity when out and about.

Charlie718

Mar 25, 2021
Bronx, New York
I’ll smoke anywhere it’s legal and sometimes places where it isn’t. If people don’t like it then I don’t like them lmao. Some people may think it’s pot but the smell should set them straight and if not oh well, I’ve walked and driven past cops while smoking and not a single one has said a thing. There’s one cop I pass everyday and all she ever does is wave and smile at me, out of all the people she sees in NYC I don’t think many smoke a pipe so it prob helps her to remember me. It’s great that you took your son to the car show, I’ll never forget my first car show and I still love cars to this day.

Reactions: fireground_piper

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
I smoke pretty much everywhere I go without any issue ever.

The thing I have found interesting is the mental disconnect present in the mindless masses between people smoking cigarettes and me smoking my pipe in the exact same space.

What I mean by this is, I have been in public situations where people smoking cigarettes were verbally scolded and stink-eye intimidated by the 'self-elected defenders of nothing' to put out their cigarettes; and yet, no one has ever batted an eye at me with my pipe puffing away.

In their brainwashed minds, because the pipe is thankfully not the universal symbol of 'a bad villainous thing', these mentally short-sighted 'Karens' fail to make the connection that combusting tobacco is combusting tobacco - regardless of the form.

I've even had these self-elected do-good'ers smile at me, after making the outdoor air safe for me and my pipe, having policed those evil cigarette smokers in the area.

In their limited minds, apparently I am not smoking.

Good!

The effect is the inverse of the famous Ellis Parker Bulter short-story: 'Pigs is Pigs'.

- Sherm Natman

I have been in public situations where people smoking cigarettes were verbally scolded and stink-eye intimidated by the 'self-elected defenders of nothing' to put out their cigarettes; and yet, no one has ever batted an eye at me with my pipe puffing away.
Me too, and when I have asked at some places like Starbucks, if I might smoke my pipe, pointing at the "no smoking" sign, I've been told, "yeh, that's just for cigarettes." Now, maybe they are just being nice to the old man in a hat, but I think if you asked nicely at most places, they'd be ok with smelling a pipe. That's been my experience.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
I smoke everywhere that isn't at work or indoors. I get a lot of smiles and grins when at red lights,a lot of "my grandpa smoked a pipe..." And once in a blue moon someone will ask what blend Im smoking.

I used to be self conscious about it. I didn't want to look like a hipster douche. Now I couldn't care less what people think of it, and I've never had someone say something negative save for once while canoeing on the river. A passerby on a kayak told me, "I didn't come out here to smell your smoke," to which I replied "I didn't come out here to hear your annoying voice echoing through the woods, or your shitty Spotify playlist being blasted out of a cellphone." She and her friends disappeared in a cloud of Old Joe Krantz smoke, and then I caught a pike.

heyeveryone

Lurker
Apr 8, 2019
I don't smoke in public since I prefer sitting down and want peace and quiet. But also since I have had realy bad experience with police who don't know the difference between pipe tobacco and cannabis. Last time it happend they snuck up behind me, grabbed me, and at the same time as they forcefully pushed me up against a wall they pulled my pipe from my mouth and threw in on the ground.

That was the last time I smoked in public.

• Wow
Reactions: Nicolasylvain

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
I don't smoke in public since I prefer sitting down and want peace and quiet. But also since I have had realy bad experience with police who don't know the difference between pipe tobacco and cannabis. Last time it happend they snuck up behind me, grabbed me, and at the same time as they forcefully pushed me up against a wall they pulled my pipe from my mouth and threw in on the ground.

That was the last time I smoked in public.
Did you bring suit on illegal search and seizure and file assault charges? - Sherm Natman

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Mostly just at work. I keep a few benches in front of the hotel for the guests and for people strolling by walking the main street, and occasionally I get a few minutes to go out and try to relax with a pipeful. Unfortunately, my employees see me smoking and usually come out and complain about something or use me as their free shrink, so the relaxation is usually short lived.

heyeveryone

Lurker
Apr 8, 2019
Did you bring suit on illegal search and seizure and file assault charges? - Sherm Natman
I filed assault charges and wanted compensation for my pipe, both got dropped. It was "only" a corncob, my worst smoking one, but still.

I did however get a realy big excuse from the supervisor that was called to the scene. The whole situation was just wierd, almost bizarre. I could tell the younger officer felt abit ashamed of how everything went down.

Previous negative experiences never escalated to the point of being physical, I was only approached and asked in a aggressive manner "and what do you think you are doing?".

Never had similar experiences with cigars though which I occasionally smoke in public.

• Wow
Reactions: Nicolasylvain

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
crashthegrey, please tell Bill that I am a great admirer of his pipes. Kaywoodie smoke as well as any and the new production is as good as ever in my opinion. The Kaywoodie Saxon for example is light weight, with a thin-walled bowl that never feels hot to the touch and is a superb rendering of the straight billiard shape. How one man (mostly) sustains the whole set of brands is beyond my comprehension. I also have a Yello-Bole Checker and a K. Drinkless, plus a Kaywoodie Saxon panel. All top notch. Every few years, I cull the herd just to keep them all smoked, but the Kaywoodie and Yello-Bole aren't going anywhere. Since he's making them solo, I think they are essentially artisan pipes. The artisan happens to have a factory with machinery available, but he's doing it all.

Last edited:

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
My oldest asked if he could get a tattoo for his 18th birthday. I said, you're a grown adult now right? Do you want one? "Yes," he said... To which I responded... "then I'm buying. Happy Birthday."

Attachments

• 20210928_172604.jpg
    20210928_172604.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 13
Reactions: autumnfog

Fire Bender

Lurker
Sep 27, 2021
Chicago, IL
Usually on my front stoop in the morning. People don’t seem to mind too much. I even got a “nice pipe!” Once when I was smoking a churchwarden. I have long breaks during the day from work and have recently been taking walks in the forest preserve with my pipe.

Reactions: Streeper541