PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Nanny State... Gawd, someone buy my house...

Since rarely smoke in public other than at pipe events and cigar shops I wonder what my few bowls a week of English/Balkan tobacco that I smoke is doing to the value of my home? 8O

amphora

Lurker
May 27, 2016
Since rarely smoke in public other than at pipe events and cigar shops I wonder what my few bowls a week of English/Balkan tobacco that I smoke is doing to the value of my home? [8O]
I've also noticed that English tobaccos with perique tend to stink up the room more than Englishes that contain no perique.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Good thing you are not in the peoples Republic of NO Jersey.
Nanny State... Gawd, someone buy my house...
Good luck on your quest to escape. Things are bad enough in the United States...I can't imagine being in New Jersey.

smokinfireman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2015
This is America, the land of the free. That means you are free to walk somewhere else if you don't like my smoke. I won't smoke around kids and old folks, but other than that, I fire away.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
I must be very lucky as I live in Grece.

Here the law is no smoking inside public buildings ,bars etc but everyone just ignores it.

it is very rarely policed.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
The same goes for seat belts and crash helmets,I am not saying this is good or bad just the citizens have more balls than some.

No one has ever given me grief for my pipe. I had one customer complain to my wife that I smelled like smoke; that's it. I see this as anti-cigarette in the public's eye. When I fire up my pipe, people tend to swarm around me to take in the aroma. I can smoke in restaurants and most stores, but I usually just pocket the pipe. I ONLY smoke blends with great room notes when out and about. I can smoke at Starbucks here, and other places that cigarettes are not allowed. I always ask if I may enjoy my pipe, and I always hear that as long as I'm not smoking cigarettes... But, maybe you guys all just live among hateful people. I love my small town, and people usually just refer to me as "the pipe guy." We may be an odd lot down South here, but least it's not too cold nor the people rude.

briarcudgel

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 6, 2016
In 1983 I had a retail business where I smoked my pipe, employees smoked cigarettes while serving customers, and nobody ever said a word. Now, it's as if you are infected with a contagious disease.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I usually just smoke at home, but every Saturday on my way into the cigar shop, I fire up a bowl on the ride in and smoke it as I walk up the street to the shop. No one has given me dirty looks or anything.

rolldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
I mostly smoke at home or in my car, so I do not face scorn. I also smoke around my friends and family, all of which are 'pipe' friendly. They are not necessarily smoker friendly, but it seems pipe smokers are looked at more favorably,if not fondly. Like others here, I only smoke blends with a pleasant room note, saving my strong English blends for home consumption.
I do not think of myself as evil, as there is no malice or intent to harm others. If perception of others bothers you, you can either look to avoid people, or work to charm and change their perception. I hope you find your balance and you begin your journey in pipe smoking.
Cheers. RD :puffy:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The same goes for seat belts and crash helmets,I am not saying this is good or bad just the citizens have more balls than some.
Perhaps smoking in public is seen by some as having cojones, but not wearing seatbelt or helmets is plain stubborn and quite stupid.

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
Police officer approached me while I parked my diesel truck at a local park and smoked a pipe. He said what are you smoking here? I looked at him and revved my engines real loud as i could and could see black smoke from my diesel fillimg the park. He said keep the noise down, got back in his car and left.

Status
Not open for further replies.